Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran

Default what age do you back your young horses

heavy and light horses, i would mouth and long rein as a 2 yr old and do some ground work and leave back in field till 3, bring in and refreash and start backing and light training and bomeproofing them but no heavy work til 4 or 5. its just i have heard of people backing and jumping at 2 1/2 yr. to me that is so bad for the horses back and joints.

what are your views on this.

Old nag

Default Re: what age do you back your young horses

I will (first youngster, she's only a yearling atm):

Long rein at 2years. Mess about with some tack (i.e. lying saddle pads on her etc), she's already bitted.
    More long reining at 3 years, along with alot of "bombproofing" in hand - i.e. hacking from the ground. Would love to be able to ride and lead but not got the other suitable horses for it. Will also towards the end of her third year begin leaning over her back and have a saddle fitted.
    Will back and ride away at 4.

She's a chunky cob, but I'll mostly judge it on how mature she's looking!

Old nag

Should add that she's a charity horse and WHW don't want them backed much earlier than 4 so I will probably wait longer so as not to upset them.

I went to try a horse today, (actually I didn't ride it, let someone else do that bit!) a 3yo KWPN, almost 17hh. As a yearling he was bitted (for showing, I believe) and started being taken places in hand for 'bomb proofing', and as a 3 year old has just been backed, and is hacking at walk and trot, cantering in the arena.
    If I get him (Although I have no problem with his current owners method) I'll ride him in the same sort of way until October, then giving him the winter off, before we start the hard stuff! I have to say, as a three year, hacking out in a new place as he was today, he was so unflappable! Especially in comparison to the horse I had borrowed to go with him!

I love my horse far more than trophies, rosettes and prize-money!

Veteran

Smile Re: what age do you back your young horses

yeah i agree start them young with everything, apart from backing. i leave till 3 to back, i have a mare at min and she was only every mouthed and long reined as a 3 yr old and now she is 7 and i am backing her this winter, i bought her last year and she has a foal now, so when foal comes of, i will give her a few months to relax and start to back her, i would call that late, but previous owner didnt know that much, so at least they didnt start her and mess it up. she is like a lamb and doesnt mined saddles on back. so have her to train this winter.

Old nag

Handled well and taken out for adventures as they get older, then backed at 4.
    I would be careful cantering a 3 year old 17hh horse in the arena much, that's not a lot of space for a big horse and could put strain on the joints. With a backed 3 year old I'd be considering turning away until next spring.

Depends on the horse and its level of maturity, my PBA i done my self at 3 /12 and didnt really do much at all except lazy hacks out once or twice a week, a year on and I`m doing gentle schooling involving walking in circles and popping the odd tiny cross pole.
    My/OH CB was back at 4/12 and is being brought on slowly, she`s 5/12 now, they take a long time to mature physically (i dont think they ever do mentally lol )
    I went out with my local ride and drive group recently and someone has their 2 yr old out which had been broken for 4 months, pony was not happy did not want to move and played up, personally id have dumped rider and pissed off....bang out of order imo

Veteran

i agree, its just too young 2 yr old and you siad it was riding 4 mths. that is just not right

We take our time with them at 3, back em, turn em away and then start again at 4 - try and not have them too much in the school though (ours is quite deep - better to mision about in our field!)

I'm backing mine at 4 or just after. Tough a lot of her training has been done:

General manners, tying up, leading, rugs on/off, farrier, dentist, vet, introduced to saddle, bit, going out for walks, seeing traffic, getting used to voice commands, introduced to trailer, been for a trip around the field getting used to fly spray and very scary fly masks(!) and some very rare long reining...