Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Activo-med combi rug - sacroilliac pain - any good?

Has anyone used this & had any success in helping sacroilliac pain in their horse? Any comments appreciated.

Old nag

Default Re: Activo-med combi rug - sacroilliac pain - any good?

As in sacroilliac joint pain?? If an xray cant penetrate that far I fail to see how a magnet can....dont waste your money.

I have some of these horse ''magnets'' and they dont even penetrate my mouse mat let alone the tough hide and flesh of a horse.
    Proud member of the Spaniel Owners' Support Group

Yey for the spangle massive!!

http://www.mediawebz.co.uk/emwuk.org.uk/

Veteran

I must admit that I stuggle to get on board with things like that. I like my scientific proof and I'm not able to find anything that makes me feel it would be worth it.
    Do you know the reason for the joint pain? Perhaps there are other ways to improve it?

Just backed

I use a bioflow rug on my mare who has sacroilliac pain following an injury, with the rug and the help of devils claw she no longer requires the use of bute to control pain.
    Sorry to say but I am a BIG believer in these kind of things, and i feel my mare is proof.
    My bioflow rug was 360 but worth every penny.

Veteran

My understanding is that magnets improve blood flow and can aid healing but there is no scientific proof that they help.

However my dog, who is mildly arthritic, has an Armadillo magnetic dog bed and she showed a noticeable improvement in general mobility when she started using it.

I tried magnetic boots on my horse when he ruptured a tendon. The first day I used them he definitely seemed worse the following day so I didn't use them for a couple of weeks. I then used them again with the same result so stopped using them.

My sister is a Reiki practitioner and although it sounds rather mickey mouse to me it does definitely seem to help the horses.

I did all sciences A levels so prefer things that are proven but have to accept that some things make a difference but just can't be explained.

I would want to get the advice of my vet if my horse has a pain issue.

Old nag

Dollycoblet what was the injury specifically and how long ago did it occur??

'My bioflow rug was 360 ....' dear god....oh well I suppose you are keeping someone in a job.

Look online and see how much these magnets actually cost to buy from the manufacturers...add 20 for a rug.....

And still there is no proof they do anything whatsoever....

Toddles off to buy 100 magnets for 6......
    Last edited by spaniel; 04-08-10 at 02:01 PM.
    Proud member of the Spaniel Owners' Support Group

Yey for the spangle massive!!

http://www.mediawebz.co.uk/emwuk.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    My understanding is that magnets improve blood flow and can aid healing
    That's what the manufacturers claim. But there is absolute proof that magnets do not increase (or even alter) blood flow. If they did then anyone having an MRI (using magnets 1000's of times more powerful) would be in serious trouble .
    I wouldn't waste your money. It's more likely the warmth of the rug/boots or whatever, that helps.

Just backed

Spaniel-I know, I know, crazy money, I sold a saddle to purchase one after boring one from a friend who needed hers back, at them time I was at my absolute wits end, my mare couldnt tolerate bute, and I have to admit I am a holistic believer, have also removed sarcoids with thuja (another subject!). Would never dream of spending that money normally. The rug really, really worked she still wears it now when stabled, I also use it on my ridden mare after work to cool down and on the way to lesson's, comp', she feels so much more 'free' through herself after using it.
    The injury my mare sustained was after she escaped and jumped a gate, from her injurys' i.e cuts and grazes we can only presume she fell on landing causing the trauma, this was last July, she is now field sound but it has been tough, she wore the bioflow and had the devils claw roughly 2 months post the injury.
    I know people have there own views but there has to be some truth, at the end of the day how can a horse use a placebo effect? I know in my head the boots/rugs and herbs/homeopathic works.
    I would reccomend the rug's or the boots.

Veteran

I actually really like the activo med rugs ! I use one regularly use one on both of my boys and they do make a difference to their performance, Lord has hyperflexion in one hind limb and the rug really loosens him up.

On The lookout for a brown DROP noseband in full....

Thanks for all your comments, I think I agree that there is not going to be any miracle cure for my horses problems. I've got the lady coming out to do a demo & if by any chance there is a HUGE improvment (which I very much doubt!) then its certainly not worth the money, even if theres just a mild improvement its still not worth the 2k+!. Apparently from what the lady on the phone was saying, is that its not just magnets, theres lasers & all sorts, so I'm willing to try it, to see if it really is that wonderful & I shall let you all know how I get on! I've tried just about everything now, so the holistic approach is the only approach I have left!