Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sport horse

Default Under the Spell of Horses.

Did any of you see the first episode of Under the Spell of Horses on Horse and Country last night? I did and was left with a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth. It told the story of three different groups of horse people in Argentina. There was a community of Gauchos, a polo player and breeders of polo ponies, and the rubbish collecting cart horses in Buenos Aires.

I didn't agree with a lot of what the Gauchos did. When selecting wild Criollo horses, they penned them in a narrow chute and forced a bridle on them. Saying the ones that would "lead" would be the easiest to train. The poor horses were absolutely petrified. They then sent them down a really steep and slippery chute for a disinfecting bath. Way to make a horse break its leg! Later on they were at a festival and rode one of the recently rounded-up horses for the first time. The crowd just laughed as the horse bucked around in sheer terror. As for the polo pony segments - I was horrified. They wrestled a foal which was only a few months old, to the ground, and sat on the poor thing. When he got up, he looked really scared. They said that was a non-violent method. They also shoved the ponies onto a truck like a handler would a racehorse into a starting box. This was after saying they practised natural horsemanship. The "horse factory" they visited produces one thousand foals a year, but only a very few of them make the grade for polo. It (rather unsurprisingly) failed to say what happens to the rest of them. At least I was pleasantly surprised at how well looked after some of the cart horses were, and that they had a vet on hand to treat them 24/7. However, some of the injuries they sustained on the job were horrific. A horse had one of her ears cut off, and another beaten on the eye and left blinded.

Next week, it's Morocco. Hopefully we won't see anymore horse abuse.

Default Re: Under the Spell of Horses.

On the whole I enjoyed it and look forward to the next one.
    Yes,things are not as they are here,but that does not always make it "wrong" All groups shown were IMO doing the best they could and trying to make things better.

Have to admit the truck was a bit of a heart stopper when you think about how we travel ours,but then we do have a tendendy to wrap everything precious to us up that little bit too much
    I've got a horrible feeling in the pit of me wallet.......

You have to remember that what is seen as acceptable in the UK is of an exceptionally high standard. Even just moving here I noticed a LOT of differences in how horses were kept (very small stables, very limited turnout the majority of the time, tying to solid object etc) and that is just a country a hop skip and a jump across the North Sea. Just think about how differently things will be done in a South American country. Difficult to make any more general comments though as I've not seen it. But it can be easy to judge something just because we don't understand.

Veteran

i watched it last week, it was on late.
    it was upsetting watching them tying the horse to the tree then hobbling it too!

different cultures have different ideas
    it was way better than the programme a few months ago where they ate their best horses!
    R.I.P. Alfie 13/05/2010 you will be forever in our hearts xxx

Sport horse

I agree, alfiesmum. The tying up and hobbling wasn't a pleasant spectacle. You are right, though - miles better than eating them.

Animals should NEVER suffer just because of "culture." How anyone can justify abuse using that reason is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by alfiesmum View Post
    i watched it last week, it was on late.
    it was upsetting watching them tying the horse to the tree then hobbling it too!

different cultures have different ideas
    it was way better than the programme a few months ago where they ate their best horses!
    If I remember rightly,they ate the older mares who had not foaled for a couple of years.
    They were out in the wilderness,not around the corner from Tesco and the horses had a pretty good life all in all.
    To us horses are pets or sporting partners,in other parts of the world they are also food.There is nothing wrong with that.

As Katikins has said,we have a very high standard of animal welfare in the UK -ours are leisure animals kept in luxury because we love them and because that high standard is what we see every day we think of it as normal and the right way.
    I agree some aspects of the show were not nice to watch,but then neither are some of the ways we restrain horses here.I saw horses that were clearly loved,respected and treated as well as their owners knowledge and finances alowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunalesca View Post
    If I remember rightly,they ate the older mares who had not foaled for a couple of years.
    They were out in the wilderness,not around the corner from Tesco and the horses had a pretty good life all in all.

If you're thinking of the same programme I am (Horse People, on the BBC?) then yes, those horses had a good life. Their deaths, however, are a different matter. The way that mare was killed still haunts me to this day. They chased her into a corral, and at first she was so terrified she jumped out and escaped - they caught her again, and lassooed her. The rope pulled tight around her throat, and they reeled her in using a wooden post in the centre of the corral. She was choking, but still clearly terrified, and still they continued to tug her into the centre. Eventually she collapsed, whereby they took an axe and began to hack at her head until she died.

I totally agree with the comment earlier that 'culture' should NEVER be used as an excuse for cruelty. Koreans skin dogs whilst they're still alive. That's part of their culture for sure - but it will never, ever make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Over2You View Post
    I agree, alfiesmum. The tying up and hobbling wasn't a pleasant spectacle. You are right, though - miles better than eating them.

Animals should NEVER suffer just because of "culture." How anyone can justify abuse using that reason is beyond me.
    How anyone can compare hobbling and consumption is beyond me.

However, I too agree that culture should never be an excuse for cruelty or abuse.

I remember how it was done thankyou
    Do I agree with it? Not a chance,but then should I ever need a horse PTS there are very good methods avalable to me in the UK that were simply not an option to those men.
    They ate the horses or had no food,they used the methods they felt best avalable to them.
    Right? No. Wrong? Not at that time,not in that place.

The use of hobbles on horses and breaking practises that do not match our own is in no way the same as skinning dogs while still alive-there is enough comparrison between our own methods and those shown without jumping to "OMG shock" tactics thanks
    No-one would defend what they perceive as cruel treatment because it is the culture of that country to do so,but sometimes the "not nice" methods ARE the best avalable.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunalesca View Post
    I remember how it was done thankyou
    Do I agree with it? Not a chance,but then should I ever need a horse PTS there are very good methods avalable to me in the UK that were simply not an option to those men.
    They ate the horses or had no food,they used the methods they felt best available to them.
    Right? No. Wrong? Not at that time,not in that place.

No-one would defend what they perceive as cruel treatment because it is the culture of that country to do so,but sometimes the "not nice" methods ARE the best avalable.
    I don't buy that, I'm afraid. No way was strangulation and axing in the head the best way available for that mare to be killed. In other parts of that programme, they clearly showed the men having contact with the horses, contact which did not require lasooing and strangulation. Slitting that mare's throat would have been a whole lot quicker and less traumatic for her than having them slash at her head three times with an axe. They're barbarians, and nothing will convince me otherwise. It isnt the fact that they eat horses that bothers me (it may not be something I personally agree with, but I can accept that eating horsemeat is a part of their culture) It's the totally unnecessary and unacceptable manner in which they kill the poor things that chills me to the bone.

But this thread is not about Horse People - there was enough furore at the time. I havent yet seen Under The Spell, so I shall reserve judgement on that until I have watched it.