Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Foal

Default Pedal bone rotation - what is the prognosis?

Hi, I have a 16hh mare who has been suffering with laminitis for about 12 weeks now, she was getting better until about two weeks ago when she deteriated very quickly and we could see the pedal bone buldging through the bottom of her sole (although not penetrated). The vet came straight out and xray'd which confirmed severe rotation (only in back two feet) front feet have not been affected at all. She has been fitted with imprints which have eased her discomfort. I am just wondering what the chances of a recovery are? Is she likely to become sound in the future? Will she be able to go out and graze? The vet said at the time it was touch and go, she literally has 1mm of sole holding the pedal bone in. If anyone has experienced this i would be grateful for some advice.
    Thanks

Default Re: Pedal bone rotation - what is the prognosis?

I dont want to upset you but I lost a mare with this last year, she was a old girl and It was not fair to put her through anymore.

She also got worse very quickly and pedel bone started to come throgh sole.
    I really hope your outcome is better all I can say is take advice rom your vet and do what you feel is right, best of luck.

Veteran

Poor mare and poor you

To be honest if it were me I would have pts two weeks ago once rotation became severe. I lost my old mare 5 years ago to this, she came down with lami all of a sudden in front feet we had xrays done straightaway and she was then on box rest, it took about 3 months and at that point she was on small patch of bare grazing for few hours a day but we had xrays done again and she was showing a lot more rotation. Personally I think when it gets to that stage they are in a lot of pain and I couldn't risk my poor girl going through the agony of the pedal bone breaking through the sole as it is meant to be horrendous for them.

My deepest sympathies as it is an awful condition but I am surprised your vet has not already said pts.

If you do decide to pts load her up with a ton of bute and give her a nice afternoon as pain free as possible with plenty of her fav feeds - it's what I did, she had about 8 bute in total on her last day and had been having 6 a day before then.

Best wishes

Have a read of Jaime Jacksons 'Founder, it's prevention and cure'. A very comforting book, although may not be on your vets reading list yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Poor mare and poor you

To be honest if it were me I would have pts two weeks ago once rotation became severe. I lost my old mare 5 years ago to this, she came down with lami all of a sudden in front feet we had xrays done straightaway and she was then on box rest, it took about 3 months and at that point she was on small patch of bare grazing for few hours a day but we had xrays done again and she was showing a lot more rotation. Personally I think when it gets to that stage they are in a lot of pain and I couldn't risk my poor girl going through the agony of the pedal bone breaking through the sole as it is meant to be horrendous for them.

My deepest sympathies as it is an awful condition but I am surprised your vet has not already said pts.

If you do decide to pts load her up with a ton of bute and give her a nice afternoon as pain free as possible with plenty of her fav feeds - it's what I did, she had about 8 bute in total on her last day and had been having 6 a day before then.

Best wishes
    Thats almost exactly what happened with my mare, thought she was getting better and then suddenly got worse. I do think its worse the bigger they are.Its a horrible situation to be in you have my sympathy, but speak to your vet.

Foal

Thanks all for your replies. Although she is obviously still in pain you can not tell until she walks out of the stable, she is always nudging for scratches and shouts to me when i walk down the yard to her, this makes it so hard. At her worst she was shaking with pain but that was way before we noticed the pedal bone had rotated. I've had her since she was a baby, she is now 14 which makes it so hard. I have said to my vet that i am not prepared for her to stand in a stable and suffer for 6 months, she said that i'd know in the next couple of weeks if there was any hope for her becoming sound. I have read so many horror stories i really dont know what to do, I just dont feel like she is ready to give in?

I know how you feel my girl was ok in herself eating and looking for fuss right up to the end, but she was on so much pain relief that it was masking how bad she really was Id had her for over twenty years and it wa so very very hard to let her go but I could not le her suffer anymore.
    I can only say I hope the outcome is better for you, your mare is much younger than mine I really do feel for you as its horrible.

Veteran

My heart goes out to you and your mare ((hugs))

My 16.1hh mare was diagnosed with laminitis at the end of March and has been stable bound. She has had 4sets of Imprint shoes on and on Monday the farrier put on some metal heartbar shoes as she was rushed to the vets. These were put on to stop the sole pressure which was causing serum inside her hoof. At the moment she is at the vets being tubbed and packed with epson salts but there has been no more movement or rotation.

My mare had a slight rotation in her left fore, that has improved and 5weeks ago she rotated in the right fore. It's awful I know, I have read just about everything and I'm in tears most of the time. x x

Veteran

Hi my friends horse (roughly 17.2 clydesdale x shire) had lami and pedal bones were basically through her feet- she couldnt get up one morning she had her feet padded and bandaged by them managed to stand using walls to lean on etc. Vet came out said kindest thing to pts as she is so tall and would never be able to go out etc, they got 2nd opinion and she had surgery to resect the pedal bones and false soles put on while hers repaired. that was 2 years ago...cost alot but she now does go out in field and is full of energy she has to have hoof boots on to get to field as the yard is concrete but then she gallops off. The vet is amazed and now he knows how calm and chilled out she is he agrees it was the right decision, but probably not for a horse that you want to be able to ride etc.
    on the other hand a 13hh pony got it this year on my yard and he was getting better went down hill farrier came to chnage his shoes etc over and immediately saw the changes in his pedal bones and vet came out he was pts immediately as he was a hunting pony who lived out 24/7 so unfair to put him through it, like yours he was bright till the end. unfortuntely a hard decision to make. good luck i hope you do whats best for your horse x

Foal

She was on 4 bute a day at her worst (about 10 weeks ago) we had reduced down to 1 a day until last week when she went down hill we put it back up to 4 per day. Two days ago she was looking more comfortable in her stable so we reduced to 2 per day, I am not sure how much pain shes in to be honest, she hides it very well. I will have to see what the vet says tomorrow (next check in appt) I dont want to see/think of her in pain but on the same hand i dont want to give up on her when she could make a full recovery? I am not bothered if i can never ride her again, providing she can go out for more than an hour a day in the future. Being a stabled horse for the majority of her life is no life for her is it?