Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default 2.5 acre 'Perfect Paddock' - Advice on purchase / livery price

Hello everyone )

I would be really grateful for some advice and opinion on the purchase price or livery cost for a 2.5 acre 'perfect paddock'.

I am a university business management student and am writing an essay which shows the link between good equine facilities and countryside management / conservation. The 'perfect paddock' is a theoretical design which takes into account the needs of the horse, the owner and the environment.

I will explain what the 'perfect paddock' is and would be extremely grateful for any feedback with regard to design, and most importantly, the expected cost to the owner, either as purchase price, or the expected rental value as a livery.

The 'perfect paddock is 2.5 acres of good quality grazing land surrounded by responsibly sourced timber post and rail fencing (topped with electric tape to prevent chewing, leaning etc). The paddock is divided into 2 (1 acre each) by post and rail fencing incorporating a gate to help with grass management. The gate can obviously be left open to provide constant access to both paddocks if required. The paddocks both have self filling water troughs.

The facilities are all made from treated wood and include 2 stables, a tack room, a covered grooming area, a hay store, a toilet (plumbed into septic tank) and electricity supply provided by solar panels fitted to the roofs.

There is also a 20m x 40m outdoor arena, surrounded by post and rail fencing.

In my essay I am trying to create the 'perfect paddock' for both horse and owner (obviously within reason, ie no jacuzzi suggestions please!) so any suggestions on improving the design etc would be appreciated.

I am also trying to show that these paddocks would be cost effective, but have no idea what the cost would be to the customer. It may well turn out that the 'perfect paddock' would be prohibitively expensive for most people. What would you expect to pay to purchase the 'perfect paddock' and also an idea on what the expected livery/rental cost would be appreciated.

Thank you all so much for your time so far, I sincerely hope that you spend a little more time providing me with invaluable feedback.

Mark Butcher

Default Re: 2.5 acre 'Perfect Paddock' - Advice on purchase / livery price

Cost wise to purchase it would be hugely expensive as 'pony paddock' size tend to cost in excess of 15k an acre round here- without facilities. With the facilities you are talking about i would expect it to have a purchase price of approx 50 - 75k (depending on area even more).

You would need to add in security - if it is not attached to a property they the security risks are far higher so gates, CCTV etc need to be added.

You also need to add in storage for mainetenance equipment, tractor, harrow, topper etc plus spare fencing to repair damage. also Hard standing for trailer /lorry.

In an ideal world you would have an area of flat concrete to trot horses up for the vet.

2.5 acres is probably not cost effective - not enough to produce hay and only really suitable for ponies - not horses as you would need a minimum of 2 animals, they would graze it to the ground very quickly through the summer and would then trash it in winter - requiring loads of maintenance , reseeding rest etc for the following year. So you would really need to create an all weather turnout paddock for winter to try and save your fields.

Thankyou so much for the quick reply 'Bosworth'.

I'm not so sure I'd be able to budget into my design the building of a tractor/equipment shed, however, if I left adequate room on the design, this is something the owner could add if they required. Some people may use a contractor for that type of thing so wouldn't require the storeage?

Excellent suggestion about security, I can't believe I hadn't even thought about that, and the hard standing for trailer/lorry definately worth putting into my design.

I am concerned about the amount of land the design should have. I chose 2 acres because I had been told a rule of thumb was 1 acre per horse. How many acres would you ideally need if you wanted to cut hay and also prevent the horses from destroying it?

Thanks again for your help, I look forward to hearing from you again )

Veteran

I would want two acres per horse at least. I currently have one per horse, and they are stabled at night all year round, it it is enough if I fertilize. It wouldn;t manage 24 hour turnout, and in fact the grass does disappear in the winter. I have to feed hay. There is no scope for cutting hay and wouldn;t be even on 2 acres per horse I dont; think. For me, to be really perfect, I would like a nice natural hedge around at least two sides and maybe a couple fo trees.

Thanks for your reply Brandy,

If I increase the design to be 2 acres per horse, and keep in all original fencing (unfortunately, not every paddock might have lovely hedgerow) do you think the 4 acres would have to be individually fenced, post and rail in 1 or 2 acre paddocks so you can rotate the horses throughout the year?

Also, what sort of price do you think customers would be expected to pay for purchase or as a rental/livery? Do you agree with 'bosworth' on around 75000 dependent on area (actually that figure was based on 2acres)

thanks for your help )

I would agree that 2 horses would ideally want 4 acres - each fenced into 1 acre paddocks - to allow rotational grazing and not stress the grass.

With regard to cost I would suggest you email a couple of rural chartered surveyors in different areas of the country and ask them what they would price it at. They will be able to give you the price per acre and the add for facilities.

The menage would need to have flood lights to allow optimum usage in winter, also, it would benefit from being built with a Dutch Barn type roof to offer protection from both rain & sun whilst schooling.

The only other thing to note is that there should in a perfect world be some shelter in each of the paddocks so the horses can get out of the sun / wind / rain during the day if necessary.

hope that is of some help

Old nag

I would agree with the others regarding the size, 4 acres is much more reasonable for 2 horses.

The cost of land varies depending on where you are in the country, e.g. Oxfordshire is going to be massively more expensive than Lancashire for example. It also varies depending on how many acres you need, the first couple of acres are disproportionately expensive because this is what everyone needs, 10 acres is very valuable, then the price per acre starts dropping as most people do not need as much as 30-40 acres (unless they want to farm in which case they need substantially more and expect to pay a lot less per acre than smallholders or horse owners).

Costs:
    - arena: depends on surface but could be anything between 10,000 and 55,000
    - stables: you need a concrete base and then the stables, approximately 10,000 but again it will depend on the materials, I have no idea what the cost of the wood you have in mind would be
    - electricity and water: how far away are the mains? It can cost insane amounts to bring mains electricity and water to isolated areas. Are you sure solar panels will fulfill the electricity needs? E.g. the farrier will need electricity, it's not just low level lighting.
    - septic tank: tough to get PP for this one, best to try to connect to mains.

Are you addressing the PP issue at all or do you assume PP is available? It would be interesting to see if there are any design considerations that might make PP more likely.

I have 2.5 acres, divided up with electric fencing into smaller paddocks. The outer perimeter is post/rail fencing with some hedging and a couple of trees in one paddock. I have 3 stables on hard standing, a hay and straw 'lean-to' and space for the trailer. I also have one of those locked security containers as a feed room.

I have no water supply- so all buildings have sloped roofs with gutters into water containers.

I rotate my grazing and the horses are in at night- in winter I rest the main field and keep the horses in smaller turn-out area which has grass in it, but I need to put hay out also. I do not grow enough grass to make hay.

I have no arena- but one of the paddocks is pretty flat so I use than if I need to.

I rent this for 40 pw...no idea what it would cost to buy....cos my landlady won't sell...grrr
    Yorkshire.
    Even the water's hard

Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

By then, you're a mile away....wearing his shoes.

There are design considerations which make PP more likely - for example some areas of the country it is easier to get PP if your arena is not fenced (and lets face it, you can plant a hedge ).

In terms of PP issues (if they are being addressed) you must show biodiversity gain on all developments these days, plus a lot of rural planning authorities have 'horsification' policies in their local plans/local development frameworks - it would be worth going through several of these for different areas of the country and pulling out their policies to see a) how they differ and b) what restrictions you would come up against.

Personally, I would rather have big hedges (so some shelter) round the edge of the field, then divide in 2 with post and rail and do the rest with electric tape so I could change the configuration. I would also like the stables to open onto a 'pen' area which could be used in foul weather so the horses could stretch their legs if the land was (for example) flooded. I would like this pen to then open directly into the fields so the horses could have the choice of in or out. Hot and cold running water is a must for me.

Quote Originally Posted by poppymoo View Post
    I have 2.5 acres, divided up with electric fencing into smaller paddocks. The outer perimeter is post/rail fencing with some hedging and a couple of trees in one paddock. I have 3 stables on hard standing, a hay and straw 'lean-to' and space for the trailer. I also have one of those locked security containers as a feed room.

I have no water supply- so all buildings have sloped roofs with gutters into water containers.

I rotate my grazing and the horses are in at night- in winter I rest the main field and keep the horses in smaller turn-out area which has grass in it, but I need to put hay out also. I do not grow enough grass to make hay.

I have no arena- but one of the paddocks is pretty flat so I use than if I need to.

I rent this for 40 pw...no idea what it would cost to buy....cos my landlady won't sell...grrr
    Wow thats a lot per week.I am so lucky,I rent a field,its almost 4 acres, water all year round and use of the cowshed,can do as I please,owner leaves me too it and he feeds my 2 on the holidays ie xmas (have field to myself) and I pay 20.00 PER MONTH for both. (friend of the family owns the field). I eventually would like to buy the field. (if he'll sell that is).