Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Schoolmaster

Default Cortaflex, Newmarket Joint or Flexadin - help please!

OK, background information. 12 year old Shire/TB gelding, has been very stiff behind since I've had him (2 1/2 years) which is made worse if he has to have any time in, such as not being able to go out every day. X Ray says nothing wrong with hocks. Has had a bone chip/spur on the near fore coffin joint, diagnosed almost 3 months ago, has possibly been there for a year or more. Went out on hard ground and damaged his suspensory ligament, possibly as a result of compensating for the coffin joint, which has obviously been getting more and more sore.

Has had a 1 month course of cartrophen, and has had coffin joint injected. 8 weeks box rest, and is on week 3 in a small paddock, where he will be for the next 3 weeks. He will be having a scan at the end of July, and fingers crossed if all is well, will be going back into work.

I have talked to the vet about long term treatment. He agrees that we should try a joint supplement. Sidney has been on NAF Superflex for the last few months, but I don't feel that that has made a lot of difference. The vet has suggested one of 3 joint supplements: Cortaflex, Newmarket Joint Supplement or Flexadin. I was wondering what everyone's experience of these supplements is. Hopefully it will help with his coffin joint problems, but also with his hind leg stiffness.

Thanks for reading

Isabelle

Veteran

Default Re: Cortaflex, Newmarket Joint or Flexadin - help please!

cortavet, is stronger and better than cortaflex. clinically proven.

Hia the main ingredient in all the supplements is glucosamine, there are a lot of things in them that you probably dont need. Did you know that you can buy almost pure glucosamine now? Equine America sell it (they make Cortaflex) and its a fraction of the price! Cider viniger and cod liver oil good too! Both reasonably cheap and easily availlable. Good luck! xx

Liquiflex, from copa ireland is excellent

Sport horse

I've got my horse on naf fivestar superflex just now but i've had him on cortaflex and newmarket joint supplement in the past. They are all good and work well but i found that after a while (a year or more) my horse doesn't seem to benefit from them as much as he used to. I'd try the newmarket joint supplement if you feel superflex isn't doing enough. I'm sure it was around 28 a month when i used it and i ordered it from vet uk online. Permanax (sp) is another good one

Sport horse

I've got my horse on naf fivestar superflex just now but i've had him on cortaflex and newmarket joint supplement in the past. They are all good and work well but i found that after a while (a year or more) my horse doesn't seem to benefit from them as much as he used to. I'd try the newmarket joint supplement if you feel superflex isn't doing enough. I'm sure it was around 28 a month when i used it and i ordered it from vet uk online. Permanax (sp) is another good one

Just backed

I tried Naf's but found made no difference either and researched finding that alot of supplements use bulking agents so better to buy something pure or go down herbal route although vet advised cortavet.

I have heard good reports of Global herbs Movefree and did like other products by them.

No proven research works in horses but glucosamine and chrondritin with ha and msm seem to be necessary.

I got a great mix from a herbalist made specifically for arthritis that was rec by friend in same boat and this couple make mixes through word of mouth recommendations as not company to handle big orders. I cannot rec a herbalist strngly enough over all supplements!!

After a crippled horse without Danilon unable to trot in field or wallk comfortable she was sound 6 weeks later and 10 weeks later on the flat she is full of beans and going better than did before diagnosed!! I have my horse back with a new lease of life and we are aiming for a dressage comp in a few weeks. Please try a herbalist xx

Ive jsut started mine on synequin recommended by the vet. Ive spoken to a few people who swear by it.

Veteran

I use cortavet and works really well for my girl however every horse is different so its a case of finding one that works cortavet is similar to cortaflex but stronger.

Just backed

Used Newmarket Joint formula....changed to Cosequin, haven't looked back since.