Veteran

Default Asthma Inhalers for horses??

Has anyone else used these? My cob Katie is not well and we have tried lots of things and we are now using inhalers the same one i use for my asthma, she has a blue one and a brown steroid one, im using a baby spacer to get her to inhale them twice a day.

Has anone else used them? Did they work?
    Riding, The art of keeping the horse between you and the ground!

Veteran

Default Re: Asthma Inhalers for horses??

Yes, they work. I have had two years of bad breathing problems with my cob, which has been treated with ventipulmin, both intravenously and the powder. Basically, he had a cough on and off, which got really bad last summer. We ended up getting him scoped and his lungs were full of white discharge, which should have been clear. He was also blood tested and he is allergic to grass pollen. He was given the same treatment as your cob and it took two weeks and he totally turned a corner. He now has to be on 24/7 turnout during warm weather, and he is only in for the odd night (he loves to come in and have a good old kip) when its cool or has been raining. Like you we use a baby inhaler and he is now on much cheaper drugs than the ones originally prescribed. I know when to treat him when he coughs and his breathing is a bit laboured, ok he hates his inhaler and will struggle and it takes two of us to do the job, but it works.

He is now 17 and we know we have this for life and to be honest now we know what was wrong, we can manage it pretty well. Oddly enough he does not suffer with any wheezyness over the winter period, which is brilliant as he suffers from mud fever and one look at mud and he gets sores all over his lower legs. He's in a traditional stable block with loads of ventilation, is on shavings and has either haylage or soaked hay. Good luck, its a bit distressing, but now we know what is wrong we manage it fine. It also helps to keep them fit as they seem to manage the condition much better that way.

Veteran

Thankyou for your reply, im glad to hear its sorted your boy out that gives me so much hope!!
    Katie has been good so far with the baby spacer and Ive managed to do it by myself in the field, I think she has resigned herself to the various bizzare things we have done to her recently!! She is out 24/7 and has a small feed with Respimin but no other medication at the moment. She has been scoped and had virtually no discharge but alot of inflamation, a lung wash confirmed she had pasturella pneumotropica bacterial infection which they think is secondary to an allergy of some sort.

She is going back to the vets next week so fingers crossed she has improved like your boy!
    Thanks again

Old nag

Yes

My mare had an awful bacterial infection coupled with anemia. She had 2 episodes where she "choked" and almost collapsed because she could not breathe. [Yes i have never been so frightened in my life, as her membranes were turning blue]

She had Blue & brown inhalers with a proper equine spacer over ner nostril. They worked very well.

As an asthmatic myself i felt very sorry for her as i knew just how she was feeling!
    The hand that rocks the ladle is the hand that rules the world . Nadia G

My friend uses one for her pony and she says it has made a massive difference and he's like a different pony!

My mare has copious allergies and I am using the Brown inhaler with a paediatric spacer unit.

We are just reducing it to see if we can stop and just use for emergencies.

It has been a godsend, but at 30 an inhaler it's not cheap.
    In silence. Thread Killer Extraordinaire, available 24 hours, professional and discreet.

Veteran

Thanks guys, im so glad there has been so many positive responses!
    Lets hope they do the trick!!

One of my friends has one for her pony, and says it works like a dream. Her pony is a showjumper and uses the inhalers before he goes in the ring and 99% of the time, he isn't bothered by his problems
    Good luck and fingers crossed you get sorted!!
    <3R.I.P Grandma 13.1.1933 - 6.8.2010, loved, remembered, always<3
    R.I.P Tara; you were a dog in a million, love you x

www.uk-gsr.co.uk Always looking for new volunteers.....are you a GSD lover? Can you help us?

Veteran

It seems like its far more common than I first thought! Thanks for the good wishes and hope your horses keep feeling good too!