Default Home made Fly Spray

anyone got a recipe for some? also am i right in thinking that citronella has been banned?? thanks

Default Re: Home made Fly Spray

My fav recipe;

15ml citronella (yes, I still use it)
    2tbsp metholated spirit
    1tbsp washing up liquide
    4tbsp cider vinegar
    1/2 pint strong tea
    Top up to make 1litre with cold water

To make the tea:
    3 teabags
    2pints of water
    Allow to cool

its not been banned as such, you can buy it neat but it cant be put in fly sprays anymore at the factory, would be interested to see homemade recipes!!

Veteran

why has citronella been banned from flyspray then?

Quote Originally Posted by Cazza525 View Post
    why has citronella been banned from flyspray then?
    On September 1st 2006 a new EU ruling came in to force which banned the use of citronella in commercial fly sprays. However horse and pony owners who make their own spray need not worry as this legislation only applies to insecticides produced for sale. What is worrying is that this makes a mockery of the new ruling as home made sprays are likely to contain far higher concentrations of citronella than the shop bought versions.

Horse and pony owners who make their own spray need not worry as this new law only applies to insecticides produced for sale

This new regulation is part of the Biocidal Products Directive (1998), which contains a long list of substances which have been banned only because no one has bothered to prove they are harmless. While it is well known that some horses will occasionally have an allergic reaction to citronella, which is classed as a "natural chemical", this problem is no worse than with any other ingredient.

It has been reported that 90% of "natural" fly repellents in the UK currently contain citronella. Manufacturers of these products could apply to have citronella exempted from the directive by submitting evidence of its safety and efficacy, but this could be costly. Developing an alternative formula which does not use citronella may be the cheaper! Indeed many firms already sell products which contain a citronella-free formula so this extra cost cannot be justified. These alternative products usually containing synthetic chemicals and many manufacturers are already working on other products to fill the impending hole in their natural ranges.

Lavender and eucalyptus have also been banned in commercially produced products, as has tea tree oil, which, although on the EU "guilty" list, is currently under review and may be exempted.

taken off tinternet!

Awesome thankyou

Veteran

There is a sticky thread on this with loads of recipes. Citronella is not licensed for use in fly repellant. However, it can be used in things not labelled as fly repellant!! One company produce a 'horse spray' which has citronella in it but makes no claims to repel flies - which it does!

Hi, I use the same recipe as monkeybum, but I add Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil. Unlikely addition I know but it does work, not so much for keeping flies and midges away, but it seems to prevent them being as able to bite!

Just made this and bottled it ready to take up in the morning and my god does it stink!! made my haed go funny, but i bet it works wonders