Sport horse

Default Heat in coronet band

My horse was diagnosed with cushings 5 weeks ago and is now on Pergolide and her ACTH levels are gradually coming under control. I last rode her almost 3 weeks ago, just a gentle wander with a little trot and the next day there was a pulse in one front foot and heat around the coronet band. On the vets advice (over the phone) I kept her in and gave her Bute, a week or so later there was little improvement on the heat although the pulse seems better. The vet came out to take blood for the cushings and I asked him to take a look. She is slightly lame (2/10) and he said it was ok for her to have restricted turn out so she has been going out for 2 hours a day for a week now. The heat is still there and obviously I am not riding her at the moment. I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts/advice - the vet thinks it may be cushings related and will come under control when the drug is at the correct level but I wondered if it may be something separate? The Pergolide was increased a week ago tomorrow and it just doesn't seem to be any better. I initially thought maybe early/mild laminitis but its not really progressed and obviously the the vet said it was ok for her to go out albeit only for a couple of hours. I just can't see how its going to get better if I we don't even know what is causing it and now I'm really worrying.

Schoolmaster

Default Re: Heat in coronet band

If its only in one foot, check to make sure its not an abcess. This can cause heat, and there may be some swelling. It might be Low Grade Laminitis, where there is slight imflamation in her feet. If she has lami before, discuss this with your vet. And if she has cushings, this may be related. Has she had lameness issues before?

Sport horse

Default Re: Heat in coronet band

Hi Jennyharvey, she's never really had lameness issues before but did have laminitis about 5 years ago - this was the only time and was because my idiot YO (at the time!) left her out overnight on lots of grass when she was meant to get her in!!! Have got the farrier coming on Sunday as vet recommended her front feet be trimmed back so will hopefully have a better idea then. Please keep your fingers crossed for her x