Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fly rugs for sweet itch

I have a pony 14.2 who is very itchy, I think it may be sweet itch (got her last year, but only showed itching signs last autumn, then again this march onwards).
    I have tried various lotions fly repellants etc, but she is still itchy. The is electric fencing in her field, and just the field shelter she can itch on so not too bad (can't move that!)
    she started off itching her face, so thought it was something else, vet said parasites, but after de-lousing then treating for ringworm, shes still itching.
    so unless she's developed an allergy to something (havent changed feed or field since the start), I can't see what else it could be
    any ideas anyone?
    if it is sweet itch I cant stable her (she hates it and goes mad locked in), so I need to look at fly rugs
    looked at the boett rugs, but budget wont stretch that far at the moment.
    anyone got any recommendations for type/make of rug, pref one which covers most of her parts?
    thanks

Just backed

Default Re: fly rugs for sweet itch

I know they are expensive but the Boett rugs are really excellent. I wouldn't change to anything else even if they are cheaper.

Veteran

Rambo Sweet Itch Hoodies are really good rugs, withstand any rubbing and wash up like new every time. When you wash a fly rug use something like NuuMed NuuWash as its for the itchy scratchy sensitive skinned horses. Believe me they last ages, my friend uses them for her horse. Think they are about 95 or so, they used to be. You can also get waterproof liners for them now so if it rains it doesnt matter. You can obviously get cheaper rugs but they dont last so long.

Veteran

Maybe I've just been very lucky, but I have managed to pick up all 3 of my Boett rugs 2nd hand from classified ads. They also come up for sale on Ebay. They really are worth the extra outlay over a standard fly rug and covering up is what really really helps our mare cope with SI.

I have an American quarter horse who itches his belly and doesn't do his back much good!
    I have just got him a Snuggy Hoods rug and that is brilliant as it has a lovely wide belly band (though it makes him look like he's about to drop a foal!!). I have had to stitch the neck up as it was baggy - he is 15.2 but takes a 6'9" rug. American horses are an awkward shape where rugs are concerned. I also got a rug and a hood for my other horse who appears to be photosensitive but the hood is rather hard work to put on (should have got the zipped version) and he looks like a jousting horse, and I can't stop laughing, anyway it is easier to have him in during the day! The Snuggy Hoods rugs are a little cheaper than the Boetts (though I have not looked into buying one of these) I can highly recommend them as they have been most helpful, even donated a prize for our breed society raffle. They advertise in Horse & Hound or Google 'Snuggy Hoods'. Good luck.

Veteran

I have a shetland that I rescued that had terrible sweet itch, when he came we couldn't touch him he was that sore and he would roll and thrash around to itch and give himself nosebleeds. I still say to this day that a boett saved his life and still does. To look at him now you wouldn't know he had sweet itch when he hasn't got his boett on but he does have to live in it 24/7. We got his from solva-icelandics and is called The DeMeulenkamp, they are slightly cheaper than the boetts but just as good. I noticed robinsons now make a similar one but I don't know what sort of quality they are. We have also found that brewers yeast helps with him too.
    You really have to 'prevent' rather than 'cure'.
    Hope this helps.

I have a Rambo sweet itch hoody and can highly recommend it

Veteran

Another vote for the slightly cheaper DeMeulenkamp. If that's still outside your budget then have a look at the Pagony. Both can be found here http://www.solva-icelandics.co.uk/sweet1.htm

pagony one looks good, will contact them
    thanks for all replies

Derby house have just done a copy of the sweet itch hoody still 80 quid though