Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proud Flesh

Just backed

Default Proud Flesh

My mare has just been through treatment for sarcoids and has some slight proud flesh on her chest in between her legs where the wound has healed. It is only a tiny area. Does anyone know if there is any cream etc that I can put on it to help reduce it?

Default Re: Proud Flesh

Use a mix of fucidene and copper sulphate crystals-this gets rid of proud flesh.

Sport horse

I've used copper sulphate with good success. This was for proud flesh on a hock joint. Only downside is that you can only get this through your vet at a cost!

Foal

I've used a product called 'Equaide' for both a laceration below the hock and on proud flesh with great results. Very good product, not sure who supplies it over your side of the water
    Their website is here:
    http://www.equaide.com/?gclid=CIXLvL...FQE8lAodUQzCFg
    Best of luck

Just backed

Thanks for the advice. I have tried to contact the vet without success. I will keep trying I think and see how much the copper sulphate is. The wound is in a really annoying place as well as every time I ride or exercise her the small thin scab that has formed keeps cracking slightly. It just seems to be taking forever to heal :-(

demobion and copper sulphate works well (if you still have any demobion around) sugar works well too, as does manuka honey (need the 10+) though be careful if on the site of a pre treated sarcoid! might still have sarcoid cells present. i would get your vet to check it out, might need debridding (and excess sent for testing for sarcoid cells). good luck!

I've used copper sulphate too with great success (with vet approval ), you can buy the crystals off ebay! It is very cheap

Silver nitrate pencil or silver nitrate dressings if you can dress the area.

Veteran

Copper Sulphate can be bought from local chemist. Or maybe ask your vet to trim the proud flesh off. quick and easy.

I have the same situation with a horse treated with Liverpool Cream - the nasty scabby, dead sarcoid has come off today. I have been washing with salty water (on vet's advice). Underneath is something which could be proud flesh but I feel, sadly, that it may well be more cells developing into more 'nasties'. Vet coming out next week so will take advice before I put anything else on it.

I would say the same to you - take advice from vet before putting anything on it. I have read so much about horses and sarcoids (on here there are loads of threads, sadly) and I think it wise not to put anything on it as it may make it worse.

My horse has the sarcoid on the chest also - awkward place to get at and whilst dealing with it you are within range of the teeth!!! Good luck.