Veteran

Red face should I buy a 4 year old

Help. My lovely and sensible TB Mare died 2 weeks ago and I am looking for a new horse. I have seen a lovely 4 year old advertised. The lady says it has been out XC schooling and SJ and a couple of dressage competitions and that it hacks and is good in traffic. I have never had a 4 year old before...

I am not a novice rider or owner. I competed at BD Elementary. I keep my horses at home but I have no school. I take my horses for a weekly lesson with a very good trainer.

Do you think I would be silly to think of a young horse when I have no school ?

Default Re: should I buy a 4 year old

I would say that unless you go and see it and ride it you won't know. I've had several youngsters over the years (3 of those years with no school!) and it has never been an issue, keeps them fresh in work with hacking and schooling and educates them at the same time.
    Every one is different - i have a 4 and a 5 year old for sale, the 4 year old would be easy in your environment, you wouldn't even know he is 4! But the 5 year old needs plenty of schooling as he is sharper - so it really is a case of horses for courses. Don't worry about his age if you like him but go with your gut feeling. Good Luck

Veteran

agree with all that said above.. I have a four year old (well five now) but he is so laidback nothing fazes him - unlike my seven year old...just depends on the horse

Veteran

If it was for a first horse I would say no but you are an experienced rider and this horse is certainly worth a look.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by tracey01 View Post

Do you think I would be silly to think of a young horse when I have no school ?
    No, not at all?! I dont have a school either, I ride in grass paddocks and thats it (I dont even hack anymore). I have backed and brought on several youngsters. I agree its a hell of a lot easier to have a nice enclosed sand school but we dont all have that luxury

Just make temperament the priority - Ive always found the nicest, calmest natured horses are always the easiest to bring on.

I don't think you need a school. I am selling a 4yr old atm and I show him to people ridden in a lovely flat open paddock rather than in our arena as atm it is so dry, deep, and dusty it just makes him cough and drop behind the leg. I think you can do pretty much all your schooling out hacking which encourages them to be more forward and means when you do then start work in a school they are balanced enough not to find it tricky fitting in the smaller space.