Default My horse has lumps all over her belly?

I went up to yard today and my mare has like loads of quite big lumps all over her belly? They didn't annoy her when i rubbed them and they didn't seem very itchy - she didn't even notice i was touching them but they're a bit too big to just be bites so I don't know what they are? I'm thinking maybe an allergic reaction to something or something? But they're only on her belly..

If anyone's ever experienced this or has any idea what they and what to do about them could they please let me know

thanks x

Sport horse

Default Re: My horse has lumps all over her belly?

Hi,
    It sounds to me like they're fly bites. They can come up as quite large and sometimes spreadout swellings.

If your horse doesn't mind a bit of cold water, just bathe the area to cool it down a little.

Quote Originally Posted by lh1975 View Post
    Hi,
    It sounds to me like they're fly bites. They can come up as quite large and sometimes spreadout swellings.

If your horse doesn't mind a bit of cold water, just bathe the area to cool it down a little.
    Thanks so much was reading up about them and suddenly getting paranoid xx

Sport horse

could be fly bites or an allergic reaction to something she's laid down in. have you got buttercups in your field - these can cause bad reactions, mostly on horses with white skin, but i've known dark skin horses also have reactions.

Veteran

My mare has them too. Am sure they are fly bites. Don't worry, I use loads of fly spray and a wrap under the belly fly sheet which helps!