Veteran

Default Ticks - are they harmful to horses?

I *think* I've found a couple on Harry the past couple of months but not sure... They've got a yellowy/greyish body and are kinda tear shaped. I found one on him on Sunday night, checked this morning and it was still there but not bigger (would have thought it would be black now with blood??!). I squeezed it off.

But just thinking now whether they can cause disease in horses like in humans (lymes disease) and whether there's a way to prevent them or should I just leave them?

Thanks

Veteran

Default Re: Ticks - are they harmful to horses?

I'm pretty certain that Lyme's Disease does occur in horses - it does in dogs.

Can only suggest a chat with the vet - guess spray on frontline might do the job.

Not sure if they are dangerous around here, I know the ones in Scotland can cause Lymes disease....but don't squeeze it off!!!! you will leave the teeth in.

I have always been told to use tweezers (or the special tick things you can get in a pet shop) and twist them anticlockwise. This ensures that the teeth come out as well. Or as my instructor does...she uses a lighter and burns the tip so they die and drop off...not sure if I would do that on my horse though

Veteran

Sound like they were sheep ticks, they change colour as they fill. They can be fairly easily removed by twisting them slowly but make sure you get the head of it too. They can cause Lyme disease which is an issue in horses as well as humans.

Veteran

I'm assuming the head is black like it's horrid little legs? If so, I did thoroughly check the area afterwards to make sure there wasn't anything else in there and I couldn't see anything so hopefully all ok... I will be keeping a pair of tweezers in my pocket from now on though!!