Veteran

Default L 4 Leather Irlam, Crewe Saddlery any one used either of them?

As title, need a saddle fitter to come out and look at my saddle. These two are both close by.

Any opinions good or bad, would be very helpfull.

Thanks
    HOYS Search For A Star 4th 2010. Dizzy Vizzy owners clique!

Veteran

Default Re: L 4 Leather Irlam, Crewe Saddlery any one used either of them?

I think I'd go with Crewe Saddlery. A horse on my old yard had a new saddle "fitted" by L or Leather and it had to have 6 weeks off and was left with permanent scarring either side of the withers. More recently someone I know had a saddle from them and they neither girthed it up or let her ride in it to see if it fitted her too. Hmmmm!

There is also a lady at Lymme, Barbara Williams I think her name is, that alot of people swear by

Youngster

Hi,

I've never had a problem with L 4 Leather and they've adjusted quite a few of my saddles. I would ask for Keith though rather than any of the others.

The good thing about Keith is that he also makes saddles so he's more likely to be able to alter a saddle which sometimes save the pennies.

All my saddles have been fitted by Crewe. 6 so far and they have all been fine except for the last one which I have to keep having altered. In all fairness though that is for a horse with a difficult shape that changes with the weather!!

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
    Cats massage your heart. Sleep well Gaby.

Veteran

I have used both in the past but have used L for Leather for the past 10 years. Keith is brilliant and very knowledgeable. He is hand made me 2 saddles in the past and have taken templates for several others all of which have fit first time.

Keith too the template for my Idea Suzzanah for my very large horse and everything had to be made uniquely, from the tree (19") to the extra 1" on all the flaps, Ideal said it was the biggest saddle they had had to make and said it was a real challenge. I don’t think i would have trusted anyone else to get that made correctly first time for me. Keith spent a lot of time on the phone direct to Ideal confirming measurements etc all of which added to the excellent customer service.

I have nothing against Crew saddlery at all but I also think Keith is amazing at what he does.

You have picked two good saddlers and i think you will be fine with either.

Old nag

If you have a decent budget go for David at The Village Saddlery, hes in Warrington and is fantastic.
    I used L for Leather in the past and Keith is a lovely man, he struggled to fit a dressage saddle to my old horse and the one I did end up with kept moving forwards onto her shoulders. To be fair almost every dressage saddle did the same and he did refund my money a week or so later when I took it back.