Youngster

Default Upper molar extraction- HELP!!!

I'm v stressed and worried!!

My lovely horsey potentially needs 2 teeth removing. Both upper molar 5, one is just cracked but the other is cracked and it has open up (hope that makes sense)

My vet and Geraint Hughes are coming next weds firstly to x ray to ascertain how far up they are cracked and then to possibly remove both teeth under a local anasthetic if possible.

I am really worried about this as i've heard horror stories from both local and general anasthetic relating to teeth.

Has anyone experienced such a thing and what's the outcome/recovery time likely to be. Feel so sorry for horsey he's on soup in the meantime!!

Old nag

Default Re: Upper molar extraction- HELP!!!

Friend's horse had two out under GA. The operation itself was fine but the recovery was fairly long and difficult. They had to drill in through the face to get the teeth out and it took a long time for the hole to heal, they had to keep it open to drain and get it to heal from the inside so it didn't form proud flesh. Now the horse does have a bit of a hollow but no scarring and you wouldn't really notice it unless you knew it was there.

Hi, I share your pain! My beautiful boy has very recently had one upper molar (3rd from back I think) removed under GA (repulsion- drilling through head). Luckily he didnt need to have the hole flushed and the bone flap was repositioned and the wound very neatly stapled with a drainage hole a little underneath. He was at the Equine hospital for 10 days and had intravenous antibiotics, he has now been home for a week and had his staples removed today (the drainage plug taken out a few days after the op) and the vet is 'cautiously positive'. He finishes his antibiotic powders today and we just have to hope the snot doesnt come back.
    If you are lucky they may be able to get your boys out through his mouth (worth also consulting a qualified dentist ) they will need to xray (assume you have had this done already) - this is much cheaper option but is still a long, complicated procedure. Try and be positive, we are taking each day as it comes and so far so good. I know when we were faced with the op it was very scary with all of the horror stories gonig around. Hopefully nyou willbe one of the lucky ones.

We had a horse who had his molar removed under GA at Liverpool, there can be complications doing it orally and they can end up in hospital to have it sorted but having said that Geraint is very good and is very experienced with those sorts of problems! Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

My horse had a cracked upper molar but my vet decided to take it out under local through the mouth. Took about 5 hours but recovery was much quicker. Also my insurance wasn't going to pay out as they said the tooth could have been cracked as I'd bought the horse earlier that year but after my brilliant vet had a word with them, they agreed to pay half.

Hope it all goes OK

My boy had to have a molar removed three years ago, luckily they manged to extract the tooth under sedation through the mouth and didn't have to go through the jaw, but took three hours and the vet asked to keep the tooth as he has never seen roots so big!

He came home the day after and all was going well, and then somehow he went down with an infection (very rare apparently if extracted through mouth ), and he was rushed back into the hospital where he was put on a antibiotic drip for five days, and further three weeks of antibiotics at home. My vet came out weekly to check him and replace the plug for a while too.

Thankfully once all that was done with he has had no ill effects, other than our EDT coming out every 4-5 months to keep the tooth above the extraction area in check, and I have to rinse his mouth out daily with diluted mouth wash.

Hope all goes well for your boy