Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tumeric to help joints

Hi,

I have seen a few posts on here about feeding tumeric to help with stiff joints in horses.

Has anyone done this? Does it work? How much do you feed?

Very curious as to whether this works so be good to hear from you

RIP Jamin. I love you with all my heart. Thank you for everything xxx

Default Re: Tumeric to help joints

Interesting: copied and pasted from elsewhere for you:

An extract from the herb tumeric has shown promise as an anti-inflammatory agent, a study has revealed.
    The British researchers explored curcumin (diferuloylmethane), which comes from the spice turmeric. Tumeric is produced from the plant Curcuma longa.

Researchers from the School of Veterinary Medicine and Science at the University of Nottingham in, Leicestershire, noted that curcumin had shown anti-inflammatory properties in many cell types.

In their experiment, normal articular cartilage was harvested from eight horses, euthanized for reasons other than research purposes.

They then stimulated an inflammatory response in the samples and treated some of the samples with the curcumin. Assessment five days later showed a significant anti-inflammatory response in the curcumin-treated samples.

The authors said more research was needed around the effectiveness and potential safety issues surrounding the use of curcumin.

The method used may also have promise in assessing anti-inflammatory properties of other agents.

Thank you Rotchana. I wasnt dreaming it then...it is true!

Wonder if anyone uses this and what results they have had?

Veteran

I have a 14yo ex P2P TB who fractured his pelvis sometime during his racing career. He has learned to compensate and enjoys hacking out but he was slightly unlevel when he trotted. I have had various people assess him and they are all of the opinion that he's not in pain, he's just been left with a limp.

Having heard good things about it, I started him on turmeric in December and within a week his trot became "sound". I buy a 400g bag from Tesco for £1.31 and I store it in an old Oxy Vanish tub and he has half of the little pink scoop which comes in the tub. It's not very scientific but I did start him on a full scoop and he seemed to go a bit gaga so i reduced the "dose" and what I feed him now keeps him ticking over. So a bag will last a good three weeks or so.

He has a fibre-based diet so gets a large sloppy feed at tea-time which the turmeric gets mixed into. I'm sure he can smell it but it hasn't affected his appetite at all!

Excellent thank you Domane.

I managed to get a 400g bad from Asda for 98p. Bargain!

I give her about the same as you too. She hasnt seemed to notice in her feed which is good but my buckets are starting to go yellow

Cant imagine a fussy eater liking this, its like a horsey curry surely

Has anyone asked vets about using this?

http://www.nouvelleveterinary.com/Cu...ch%20Trial.pdf

After reading a few posts from others that were advised to feed this, I assumed it would be ok. I will however call my vet to confirm this.

http://www.equi-animalherbs.com/Pain.htm

Extract from attached...

Devil’s Claw root, also known as Nature’s Bute, is another well known and effective aid in the relief of pain from arthritis, bruises and strains. It is an excellent anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic, especially when combined in proper amounts with Myrrh and Yucca. Devil’s Claw Root is used to effectively bother internally and topically.
    Older horses respond well when Tumeric is added to the daily diet. Anything that works to aid in building and maintaining a healthy immune system will also work to lessen the pain of arthritis and help in the healing of injuries. Some of these herbs are Schizandra berries, Astragalus, Sioberian Ginseng and Eucommia dark. White Willow bark is excellent for pain, Rue for tendon problems, Comfrey, in safe and compatible amounts in short term use, is very good for broken and bruised bones.

Could anyone tell how much turmeric I need to put in my horses feed he is 18 years old and suffers with stiffness in his legs and he is fed twice a day so do I give it once or twice a day many thanks

Veteran

I would start with a teaspoon full of Turmeric 6-8 twists of freshly ground Black Pepper and either Coconut ,Linseed or Olive oil twice a day build the Turmeric up slowly over a week or two until you see a difference. This may take a week or a month or two. The amount of Turmeric can range from two to three tea spoonful to half a cup full twice a day. It is only the Turmeric that needs to be increased.

If you already feed micronized Linseed you do not need to feed the oil. Take it slowly as some horses have to get use to eating it. All mine eat it in their feeds without a problem.