Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do human pregnancy tests work on Horses?

Im am currently studying my BSc Equine Science degree and my disertation topic is 'Do human pregnancy tests wrok on the Equine'

I was hoping to test approximatly 15 horses myself for this experiment but do to weather and the time of year i have struggled with this. I was hoping that people could help me by answering a couple of the questions below, and share your experiences of using human tests on horses, this would be a great help for me on my disertation.

Questions:
    1.Have you ever used human pregnancy tests on your horses?
    2. What was the result?
    3. How many days of gestation did you do the test?
    4. Was your mare in foal?
    5. How did you confirm the pregnancy? i.e. Bloods, Ultrasound etc.

Thank you for your help
    Sarah

Old nag

Default Re: Do human pregnancy tests work on Horses?

No I haven't, unless you count the Old Wives Tale of the wedding ring (OK, anything metal)

I use it all the time, mainly just for fun, but within 48 hours of service it tells me whether a mare is in foal or not, it has never been wrong yet, mind, my mares run with the stallion so he is also a pretty good indicator too.

I hasten to add that I DO have mares scanned at 14 days.

If anyone can answer my questions please could you private message me.
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by sarah-jayne-1 View Post
    Im am currently studying my BSc Equine Science degree and my disertation topic is 'Do human pregnancy tests wrok on the Equine'
    Human pregnancy tests -do not- work in equines. Human pregnancy tests tend to measure levels of Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin (hCG). Equines do not produce hCG. They produce Equine Chorionic Gonadotrophin (eCG, previously known as PMSG - Pregnant Mare Serum Gonadotrophin).

The two hormones are not similar enough for eCG to be picked up by a test for hCG and vice versa. I believe that eCG consists of 182 amino acids, whereas hCG consists of 244 amino acids.

No they do not work on horses, but they do on primates. The human reproductive system is very different from a Horse and Human pregnany kits test for hCG (Human chorionic gonadotropin) which is not present in the horse. There are horse urine pregnancy kits on the market developed in New Zeland, they test for estrone sulphate produced by the foetus.

He beat me too it!!!
    http://www.mybannermaker.com
    When you're young and you fall off a horse, you may break something. When you're my age, you splatter. ~Roy Rogers

AndyPandy your explanation is perfect!

sarah-jayne-1 have you run that dissertation topic by your lecturer? Where are you studying?

Yes i have ran it passed my Tutors, it doesnt matter if it doesnt work, it is jst a test to see if it could. I no about the differences but from the results i have got from the horses i have studied there are some inconclusive results, i jst wanted to know if any one had tried them and what their results are.

Veteran

Shortest Dissertation in history I think...

Answer - No
    RIP Holly & Run Free Gorgeous Girl xx
    Always say 'I'm glad I did', Life is too short for 'I wish I had'

Im not just asking wether they work, i just wanted to know if people had tried it or not. Even if they do not work, which i didnt think they would it is interesting to know wether people had tried to do it, i no quite a few that have but could do with some other peoples experiences.

Veteran

Sorry, I always just have the vet scan at 16/18 and 42 days.

Never thought of trying a pregnancy test!
    RIP Holly & Run Free Gorgeous Girl xx
    Always say 'I'm glad I did', Life is too short for 'I wish I had'