Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sunny Somerset - surrounded by bare scorched fields...

Default Does any one have 2 ponies sharing a stable?

At the moment my 2 little ones (a shetland and an exmoor) share a stable that has been split into two with a ply board wall between them. Thing is recently the shetland has taken to going in with the exmoor and standing behind him, as if its a comfort to him. When i first went to see the exmoor he shared a stable with the shetland, but decided to split the stable as i didnt know how they would behave. These two have been together since the shetland was a year old, now 4 yrs old, and was thinking of taking the wall down so they are sharing again. They get on well, have moments in the field playing around but never see them actually fighting. So i was wondering if anyone else does this, how the ponies get on, what did you /have done to make sure they are happy and not fighting etc and do you think its something that i could do? Was planning to do it at the weekend, so if anything goes wrong i can shift one to the spare stable, until the wall can go back up. If anyone has any pics of thier ponies sharing that would be cool.

Oh just to add the stable is 14x12, so they have plenty of space.

Thanks!
    RIP Nettie 1998 - 2007 - My beautiful forever horse so sadly missed
    Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you I had no control over

Veteran

Default Re: Does any one have 2 ponies sharing a stable?

Yes, my daughters first ponies would share, they were 12.2 and 12.3. Where I work now, the standard shetland and section A share a field shelter which is about 12x12 (part of a barn) and share a stable if they come in. No problems whatsoever. And it looks so very sweet although I know that is not what it is all about.

I would say give it a go. They sound like they are good friends, and its a nice big stable for the two of them.

I know of a little section A and a donkey that share a stable, they are best friends and don't think theres ever been a problem.

My two shared everything (until one was pts), stables, field, wherever. I also used to volunteer at a rescue centre and most of the little ones were stabled in pairs. Tbh I think it's healthier and happier for most horses/ponies, unless they really don't get on!

l have a section b and a donkey who share a stable
    they are very happy together...... feeding is done separatly as pony very greedy and wants donks tea too .

im sure they will be fine together ,just do it while your around and then you can watch there reactions .

good luck ...

Veteran The Bouncing Bog Trotter's Avatar

My 2yold WB shares the foaling box with the little NF foal that was bought at the Beaulieu Road sales last autumn. It's not through choice but because their field has been underwater since November. They did share the field before we stabled them.

Ruby is about 15.2 and the little one is about 9 hands! They share a feed bucket - they do get one each but tend to munch together, and I've seen Ruby nicking hay that the foalie had dangling from her mouth. The foal did go through the sale at 4 months old though so she thinks Ruby is her new mum and Ruby seems happy with the deal. Guess the fun will come when we need to 'wean' them.

My friends Highland and her shetland share a stable together. They are both fine allthough the highland does bully the little one a bit a feed times. As long as you have plenty of space for the two of them they should be fine.

Old nag

Our exmoor gelding and dartmoor mare shared a stable, they normally lived out and were very happy in together.

My TB mare also shared her stable for a while with a welsh A gelding as there was no stable available for him and they were best of friends. They were happy to share the hay and Breeze would stand back and let her little mate have a good share of her dinner at night too.

As long as the stable is big enough and they are happy to share space and food, I can't see a problem and often think that they are probably happier being in with another good friend.
    Life is short, enjoy it to the full with large hairy horses.

Veteran

my 10 & 11 hand welshies share a stable no problems in fact the only issues are if you seperate them they have a 8x10 & are more than happy together, they also have roam of a small yard area but have been shut in on 3 occations now due to severe weather.

Veteran

My two shetlands share a stable. They hate to be separated so when one is on box rest the other has to go in with him. They play and chase each other round the field but dont fight.

I have to put them both in with the big one if I end up shutting the stable door because of bad weather, that stable isnt a pretty sight in the morning and takes a bit of mucking out