Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dogs on farmland- right to roam etc

Does anybody, know of or have a link to, info regarding the current laws on dog walking on farmland or dog walking whilst riding a horse on private farmland. Are there any legal restrictions on such activity, is it or could it be construed as hunting?
    The farmer where my friend owns her horse says she may not exercise her dog on his land, when she is riding her horse, yet the dog a springer spaniel, is well behaved and under her control. Her horse, an old irish eventer is also impeccably behaved and controlled at all times. The farmer has no issue with her walking the dog on farmland or riding her horse as long as its not together!
    The farm is an arable farm, no livestock.

Seems a daft rule to me, riding your horse and exercising the dog at the same time is great fun for all. My horse loves it when I am out with the dogs, it gives him confidence and it also beats the hell out of the chore of dog walking.

Comments, experiences opinions please.

Default Re: Dogs on farmland- right to roam etc

It's his land so the rules are up to him. The right to roam does not apply on arable land
    One of my *eys isn't wor*ing so I have replaced the offending letter with a *

Yep - his land up to him. Shame as I used to love exercising dogs and horses at the same time.
    The right to roam is very fluffy and doesn't occur to everywhere (thank god, I spent years of my life telling unruly townies and their badly behaved dogs to stick to footpaths back at the old farm, god I sound like a grumpy granny )
    "It's a lot like nuts and bolts - if the rider is nuts, the horse bolts!"

[ QUOTE ]
    It's his land so the rules are up to him. The right to roam does not apply on arable land

[/ QUOTE ]

have pm'd you

Is that throughout the UK or just England?

Maybe he feels that it's not possible for her to have full control of the dog whilst on her horse.
    One of my *eys isn't wor*ing so I have replaced the offending letter with a *

Veteran

Are you in Scotland?

Sorry but from the farmer's point of view his crops are extremely valuable and a huge part of his annual income. It's amazing how much damage can be caused by it getting trampled. Yes, it's nice to ride and walk your dog at the same time, but he probably thinks you have less control over the dog when you are riding. I quite understand his way of thinking and fully agree with him. I don't think people realise how lucky they are to be allowed to ride through arable fields, you have a very kind farmer so I wouldn't be too upset about not taking the dog.

Old nag

I take my dogs out with me - our own farm - but you can't control them the same way. Maybe he worries her springer will hunt the hedges or something?
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...

Right to roam only applies in Scotland I believe.

She's very lucky her local farmer allows her to ride on his land at all, unless it's a bridleway, and either way I think it would be a bit cheeky to try to "contest" his request not to take the dog along when riding.

Also is there woodland on the farm? I'm assuming so as most farms do! If any of it is used for shooting this could be the reason for his request - even if there's no livestock around a dog can still worry game and a gamekeeper has as much right to take a shot at dog worrying his game as a farmner does a dog worrying livestock. It sounds like this dog is very well behaved but the farmer can't bank on that for sure.

Veteran

I suggest she contact BHS and Ramblers they have plenty of 'experts' on Access legislation.

Scotland has different legislation to the UK. Scotland had no history of bridleways and before the Land Reform (Scotland)Act horse riders were poorly served e.g. cyclists could do 40mph on Forestry Commission Land but horse riders were forbidden to canter!! I used to keep a 7.5 ton lorry on the road to drive our horses 5-10 miles for hacking.

I don't need one now
    Shagya Arabs