Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is this a natural plait?

Anyone else getting plaits like this in their horses mane. I have heard all sorts of stories and dont believe that someone is marking my horse to be stolen, but never seen plaits like it before happen naturally in an otherwise straight mane. Witches? or weather?

Default Re: Is this a natural plait?

Or possibly someone being naughty!

Out of interest how long is her mane?

Sport horse

I knew of a gelding who had a really long mane and it twisted in the wind..but didn't plait.

Hmm, I'm no expert on this subject atall, but it looks a little too 'natural' to be done by a potential thief? I mean, surely all they would want to do is a bog-standard plait to mark a horse, and not bother weaving and twisting it about so much? No idea! Sorry, anything is possible! I'd try not to worry and just make sure your security is up to scratch and keep and eye xx

Hmm not sure.
    It looks a little too "neat" to be natural, I would expect a natural plait to be more like two strands twisted around each other if that makes and sense??
    "It's a lot like nuts and bolts - if the rider is nuts, the horse bolts!"

It looks just like the ones my arab gets.

We've always called them witches knots but round here they call the fairy knots so take your pick!
    Run free Millie (Miller's Song 01.09.92 - 06.11.11). You were the bravest, kindest and most honest of horses.

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.

Sport horse

these kind of things really scare me, i had a sec D who had a very long mane for a long time, and lived out in all weathers one winter - her main was never like that?

I'm not saying someones marked your horse, - take the plait out trim her main(or pull it) and see how things go..

Also make sure its not possible for someone to open any gates/ get into ur main yard at night when no ones around

Veteran

That is totally a wind plait. My little welshie gets them all the time through winter
    Like these:

When you see pictures of neglected horses with thier manes all matted...well thats how they start...with a small 'plait'. If you leave it long enough more will add to it and you will end up with a huge mass of knotted mane.
    I have had my pony 11yrs now and she gets them every winter

[ QUOTE ]
    That is totally a wind plait. My little welshie gets them all the time through winter
    Like these:

When you see pictures of neglected horses with thier manes all matted...well thats how they start...with a small 'plait'. If you leave it long enough more will add to it and you will end up with a huge mass of knotted mane.
    I have had my pony 11yrs now and she gets them every winter

[/ QUOTE ]

See to me that looks totally different to the original photo posted. My old grey welshie used to get the "wind plaits" that your grey does.
    "It's a lot like nuts and bolts - if the rider is nuts, the horse bolts!"

Veteran

Agree, it looks like a wind plait. i remove one from my pony this morning and it took me ages it was so twisted. It just popped up over night! looked just like the photo in the op