Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran

Default Lumps all over - what could they be???

A horse on our yard has lumps all over his body including his head. His hay hasn’t changed supplier nor has he had any new rugs on etc.

They have been up for about a week so she has taken him off all feed and is only on hay.

Any ideas what it could be?? I personally would get the vet but she said she has spoke to her vet and he says there is nothing he can give him ......(strange).
    X x Our horses and ponies have forever homes clique x X

Default Re: Lumps all over - what could they be???

My boy has had this before, vets thought it was either something he rolled in that he was allergic to, or something like a mane and tail/coat shine type product. However I disagree that the vets can give nothing, my vets gave kind of horse antihistimine I think (Will check that but can't right now)

Schoolmaster

a few horses on our yard have got them, all of them cobs, some say its a heat rash, others think it could be protien lumps (if horse has been on alot of haylage and feed) and another option could be that they have eaten something out in the field/hedge due to limited grass.

think the vets can give an antihishamene(sp??)
    let us know if your vet does give anything for it,

Veteran

You can give them steroid tablets but it's not great for them to do so.
    My vet's advice is always bute up, antibiotics if they get infected and use steroids if truly necessary- they need to be administered early on if poss to have maximum benefit.

I expect, as Jess says, something he rolled in, or possibly something he ate (could someone have been giving him treats?) Sounds like an allergy.

“You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time."

Now would I be a Kentish lass, or a lass of Kent?

Our cob was allergic to Barley. There are some very nice barley free foods out there

Perhaps it's midges? There's been a wave of them since it thawed. If it was summer I'd also suggest wasps.
    Every time I close my eyes, it's like a dark paradise, no one compares to you and I'm scared that you won't be waiting on the other side...

Veteran

Thanks... He is a fat little cob type and she insists on putting lots of rugs on so heat was my first thought.

He really isn’t on anything with protein because he is too fat already.

They did go out in a different field because of the snow and he does like a good roll so that is a strong possibility.

Allergy was my thinking, i thought antihistamines and am glad that you knowledgeable lot confirmed that for me.

I will keep you all posted.
    X x Our horses and ponies have forever homes clique x X

Veteran

Sounds like an allergy the vets should be able to give an antihistimine like jess said or some kind of steroid injection, sounds very similar to something my boy had and it went down straight away after an injection

" Make the right things easy, and the wrong things difficult!"

I doubt that the vet can do nothing! Id try another vet if not, Id be a little concerned. Sounds like an allergic reaction to something.
    XxX Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened XxX

sounds like urticaria which is an allergic reaction to something in his environment

antihistimines are not very effective in these cases and no longer really recommended as the only currently EU approved ones are not strong enough

the vet can give a corticosteroid injection intravenously for quick relief, then another one intramuscluarly for a longer lasting effect (a few days)

if the lumps are still there, then I think a vet is needed - the allergen must still be in his environment