Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old nag

Default Metacam alternative?

Hello all

After being on Metacam (primarily to help with eye problems as it relieves the pressures in his eyes caused by I think uveitis) for a good couple of years or so, our old dog is finally showing all of the side effects... loss of appetite, generally a bit fed up and lethargic, liver problems and possible stomach ulcers. He's been taken off the Metacam but the vet says there isn't anything else he can give for the eye problems (apart from Rimadol (?) which had the same effect, hence changing to Metacam). He may end up needing to have his eye removed but that's something we can deal with later on down the line, should we decide there is no alternative to putting him through an op (I'd prefer not to but not just my decision).

However, he's also a bit stiff, as old animals tend to be and the Metacam obviously really helps with this. His appetite has returned with avengeance since coming off the Metacam, which is great, but I'm expecting him to start getting stiff again. Is there anything we can give him which will help with that? I'm thinking along the lines of the horsey No-Bute, Devil's Relief and similar supplements. Can dogs have Devil's Claw?

Thanks

Old nag

Default Re: Metacam alternative?

Just a quick google of some supplements, if you're thinking along the lines of the horse supplements we can buy without prescription..

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/dog-supp...FVVu4wodEw3o0w

http://www.jointaidfordogs.co.uk/pro..._dog/index.htm

http://www.nuprosupplements.com/

Best link I feel as I buy from Nutrecare.

http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/prod2.asp...mp;sub_cat=487

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies.

Proud member of the Spaniel Owners' Support Group

Veteran

I use the joint aid for dogs for my 11 year old Lab. Have to say I am pleased wih it. I also have a magnetic collar for her. Together they are keeping her quite agile. She is still doing a little flyball and agility (although I only do the lower height jumps in deference to her advancing years)

I just wanted to say that my 10 year old GSD had her eye removed and she coped absolutely brilliantly. Don't know how old your lad is but if the eye is causing discomfort I definitely wouldn't rule out removal.
    Re his stiffness, don't suppose it will help with the eye but my bitch has had cartrophen injections which seem to have helped with a spinal problem.

Old nag

Thanks all.

Patches, thanks for the links, that's exactly what I was talking about. Something like we would buy for our horses without prescription, Cortaflex type I guess.

MM, he's 14 and has a weak heart so I doubt we would want to put him through the operation to remove his eye if it was needed as he'd be unlikely to survive the op. That said, if the eye got v bad he'd end up having to be PTS anyway if he wouldn't survive an op, so I guess under those circumstances you go through with it anyway because the pessimistic outcome is the same (does that make sense?). Good to know about your dog though.

Thanks

Old nag

Patches, which one of those Nutrecare supplements do you buy (the dog ones)? They do have Cosequin and I know the equine one is good but it's v expensive... dog hasn't been diagnosed with arthiritis in the same way I know M has it so needs treating, he's just a bit stiff with his age.

definitely try one of the glucosamine/chondroitin supplements (they take about 6wks to take effect), try a course of Cartrophen and consider trying PLT as seems to cause less gut side-effects than nsaids like Metacam and Rimadyl. Wont be able to do that one if the liver probs are serious though.

Dan, 27yr old Welsh D, Llewi, 11yr old Welsh D and Monty 14yr old Welsh D x TB
    Welsh Cobs and dressage rule!
    Resident Vet

Old nag

Sorry CC, I have never bought dog supplements. Even at 14, Jasper never had a day's stiffness.

I buy some Cortaflex from them for Miss P. I was more recommending the service from Nutrecare than a particular product.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies.

Proud member of the Spaniel Owners' Support Group

Old nag

No worries, thanks anyway

Old nag

Liver probs are mild so hopefully they will start to reverse now he's coming off the Metacam. What is PLT?