Default Container for soaking hay?

Hi,

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to where I could get a good container for soaking hay? Ideally with a drain if poss.

Thanks,

Gill

Default Re: Container for soaking hay?

Old bath tub from a scrap yard?
    'You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...'

My views are mine alone, and do not represent those of any other individual or organisation.

Veteran

I just use a black plastic dustbin. You can soak a net of at least four sections of hay in one. just position near a drain and tip it over to empty.

Sport horse

I once watched one of those 10 minute programs with tips from experts and a police stables somewhere used wheelie bins which held a whole bale and when the bale was soaked enough they pulled a bung out of the bottom and drained it off. You would have to make the hole and supply your own bung but it seeme a good way of doing it.

You could buy a tap for a water butt and stick it on a wheelie bin maybe?
    'You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...'

My views are mine alone, and do not represent those of any other individual or organisation.

Veteran

Old water tank

Hi, I'm new so I hope you don't mind me posting, but i thought I would share this tip.

A friend has told me a fantastic way to soak a whole bale of hay using a wheelie bin.

Get a wheelie bin (I've just bought one from a DIY store for about 25.00) and fit a tap (like the ones on a water butt) to the bottom and then drill two holes at the top(on two sides) for a piece of dowling to stop the hay rising out of the water.

You will not be able to move it when full of water, but you can fit a piece of hose to drain the water and then when empty, you can wheel the hay to the stables.

Apparently it will keep for 3 days in the bin. I have yet to try it but if I start nagging the other half now, it may be ready by next winter!

Veteran

[ QUOTE ]
    Old bath tub from a scrap yard?

[/ QUOTE ]

When we had our bathroom redone I kept the old bath to soak the hay in. Works a treat if you tie a long piece of baling twine to the plug so it is easy to pull out to drain the water.

I bought some giant green plastic planters at B&Q. They hold a fat round bale nicely.
    Member of the League of Unlikely Dressage Ponies, the 'Adults who ride Ponies' Clique,
    the Trakehner Fan Club, 'The Black Stallion' Fan Club, and a Sinister Barefoot Cult.

ditto the plastic dustbin idea - tho am liking the wheelie bin idea. As a bung I got a wooden handle from a mane comb - they are always falling off! - drilled a hole just big enough for the handle. Hey presto!
    http://www.stablepeople.co.nr
    X x Our horses and ponies have forever homes clique x X

RIP my beautiful lad. You are sorely missed. Your legacy lives on. Thankyou. xxx 12.04.12