Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran

Default Teaching a horse to pee in a bucket - have you? How?

As I have mares (not that you'd guess from my username!) they are quite wet. I use mats and cardboard bedding, but as they seem to semi-pee on a routine, I figure I can catch at least one a day in bucket!

One tends to pee just when she comes in, but usually when my back is turned! The other has a v annoying habit of peeing as she hears me coming across the yard in the morning (they are kept at home). Honestly, could she not wait 5 minutes LOL)

Any tips you can share?

Old nag

Default Re: Teaching a horse to pee in a bucket - have you? How?

I just used to bring merlin in and stand with a bucket poised whilst whistleing......

When he did his duty he got a reward

He will now pee on command.... but its of limited use as he lives out all year round

But at least we can do it

Cant say I would fancy catching mares pee though... its not a nice thin stream like a gelding.... more like Niagra Falls !!!
    MQ

I deliberately got my horse used to peeing in a bucket, just in case one day I needed a sample. The day I needed a sample, it paid off.

My horse usually pees on a clean bed, so I had the bucket ready and a good book. When he did his wee stance, I quickly, but not suddenly stood up, got the bucket and put it underneath the business end and voila. He then got a treat and has been fine ever since.

If your horse is shy, try collecting droppings in a bucket first to ahem, break the ice.

I also do it because once I have mucked out and he goes and christens his bed, he can have a nice clean bed for a bit longer.

Yes, I am mad and deranged, but at least I am happy!!
    Hon. Member of the 'Narmul fuh Naarfolk' Clique!
    An adult who rides ponies!!

Old nag

Also you can teach the horse to pee on command. Every time you see her pee, say your word for pee, e.g. "toilet", eventually she will associate the two (I had to teach R to encourage him to pee BEFORE dressage tests and not AFTER, otherwise he spent the whole test groaning!).

Put some bedding in the bucket so that the pee does not splash and make a sound, or else she might be put off.

WHY???? Why? Why? would you like to do this
    [url=http://[/url]
    HappyBee

Agree with MQ - wear a mac and sou'wester if you are thinking of catching mare's pee

My FB always pees before he eats - so when he sees his food bucket coming across the yard. I bet I could clicker train him to go on command if I wanted to.

Veteran

[ QUOTE ]
    WHY???? Why? Why? would you like to do this

[/ QUOTE ]

Well obviously it's not the kind of thing a normal, well adusted (never been near a horse!) person would do, but I like the idea of saving money on bedding

Have two horses and love saving money!!
    Im not being mean but they are horses not circus animals.. Well we are all different.....
    [url=http://[/url]
    HappyBee

Veteran

[ QUOTE ]
    Agree with MQ - wear a mac and sou'wester if you are thinking of catching mare's pee

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL well I spend half my life in waterproofs anyway, so I reckon I'm safe

Veteran

Umm no they aren't - but pretty much everything we teach them is a response to a command, so not sure how it's any different? Move forward when I apply my leg here, turn right when I put pressure on this rein, move backward when I give the command, walk into this trailer even though it's against your natural suspicion of enclosed spaces, etc etc.

Anyway I don't think they'll care so long as they get fed