Schoolmaster

Default Does anyone else's horse lift its right leg when it's bored?

This is what Lottie does on the ground when she gets bored, and even when I'm riding her. She doesn't just lift her leg she folds her leg double!

Sometimes it's necessary to make the leap and grow your wings on the way down.
    Yoji Yamada

Schoolmaster

Default Re: Does anyone else's horse lift its right leg when it's bored?

I'm guessing no then...

Sometimes it's necessary to make the leap and grow your wings on the way down.
    Yoji Yamada

my horse does it when he eats... lol, but he does it quite threateningly...he's very territorial about his food because he CLEARLY thinks i am really tempted to eat his oats, nuts and sugabeet... :/ lol!!xx

It's pretty common, although it's usually anxiety related and most often shows up at feeding time and/or when a horse is being made to stand still/is confined. Horses relieve anxiety through movement so when they don't have that option they often take up such habits. It often seems to be "inherited" as almost every broodmare I've seen with the habit "teaches" it to their foals.

‎It's a sign of intelligence and growth to change your mind. If you never change your mind, you're never learning anything new.

Veteran

My lad lifts his front leg(s) when he is REALLY enjoying his feed.

He is very messy with his bucket, so I always have to hold it for him to avoid him throwing the contents all over the field. He never does it in summer, when he just gets a couple of mouthfuls of balancer, but in the winter, when the feed is bigger and more 'interesting' he will often eat some, pick his off front up and wave it (backwards, never forwards towards me), then put it down and do the same with his near front.

I'm sure it's an emotional outlet, but it's more delight and excitement and there is no aggression in it (or him for that matter).

Old nag

Yep. Mine will stand in her stable/on the yard for hours on three legs. Her hoof will be tucked up to her girth area, and she will occasionally swap. It's normally when she is after food/attention

One of mine does it when travelling, not a good idea when going round corners!! His is a stress thing, as he was pretty frightened when i first got him. He now does it more out of habit, but can also do it when begging for a treat!!

yep micah does it when impatient, either for tea, hay or waiting to be turned out, oh and when asked to stand and chat on the way too or from the field