Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Schoolmaster

Default Can a Landlord evict a Disabled tenant ??? Q re a friends rights .

Just wondered if anyone has any advice or ideas re this , a friend is registered disabled , they have had various problems with joints and several operations etc , they have lived in present flat for 5years , and always paid rent on time, looked after the place etc , but lamdlord has said lease has run out and they want my friend out .

my friend has contacted local citizens advice etc , local solicitors, housing people etc , but it is all proceeding to court it looks like , I am trying to support my friend as best as I can , but she has a young family and her partner recently left her so she is pretty down , I just wondered if anyone had any ideas or advice re this .

xxxxxx

Default Re: Can a Landlord evict a Disabled tenant ??? Q re a friends rights .

As far as I know, and remember from renting out an apartment, once the tenancy agreement has ended then that is it .

Good luck to your friend hun.

"After the light, comes the dark; After the love, comes the breaking of my heart."

Sport horse

As far as I know she has no rights to stay beyond her tenancy agreement- landlords are entitled to end tenancys when they wish as long as they comply with the contract. What does it say in her contract? Most sign up for an initial 6 months then are done on a monthly basis or renewed for another fixed period of time with both parties agreement- either way I believe the tenant has to give one months notice if they wish to leave and the landlord has to give two months notice if they wish the tenant to leave, this should be made clear in the contract. Sorry to hear about your friend's situation though

Old nag

As far as I know, there is no right to an indefinite tenancy - which is what your friend appears to want. Given her issues she should get on to the council housing list, she should be in quite a strong position with her current tenancy coming to an end

Surely being disabled has no bearing on this.
    If the tenancy agreement has run out and the landlord does not wish to renew then yes your friend must move out.

i would suggest to her, that maybe she visit her local council, as she'd be entitled to make herself unintentionally homeless, and would be top of the list for a council/housing association place.

They would have to serve a section 21 notice to quit, only when the time has elapsed on that can the landlord take them to court.
    The sad news is that the tenant will then most likely be asked to leave by the courts by a given date. ( this can take months depending on the area)
    Your friend can prolong the proceedings but not the outcome i fear. CIB will be able to help with full details and dates.
    It may be possible that the landlord needs to sell the property to raise funds as i know many landlords are struggling to pay their own morgages.
    Good luck to your friend though, it sounds like she is due a change of luck.
    Teresa.

RIP my beautiful Tammy who,s light went out 12.07.2011. but still shines bright in our hearts.

Schoolmaster

to the above, hope she sorts something out.

Unfourtunatly the law is with the landlord and she signed the agrreement

What Tree says is correct. There seems to be no disability discrimination here. Yes, as a tenant your friend has rights, but the landlord also has rights - he is the owner of the property and might want or need to do something else with it.

Old nag

Have to agree that disabilities do not come into it, and once the tenancy agreement term has been reached, the landlord can evict.