Veteran

Default cough medicine how much to give??

horse has cough this morning when riding - when trotting/cantering - only every now and again - lives out 247 has a shelter and hay in shelter.
    someone on yard said give her cough medicine - called vets spoke to receptionist to ask if ok - she said vets do say its ok - when i asked how much she said er an adult dose would be ok- she sounded unsure - so has anyone on here given cough medicine - how much do you give or do you have your own remedies ?

thanks alot - had her 3 yrs and never coughed once!!!! - its a proper lift back up when riding deep cough - would a chesty cough for us i reckon

Youngster

Default Re: cough medicine how much to give??

With mine i usually fed it off the mixing spoons as they love it. I suppose it depends on the size of horse but it would be hard to overdose them. I would give about 3-4 times an adult dose.

Veteran

we normally give about 25ml, follow the instructions on the bottle, I use a large syringe, horse would drink it out of the bottle if she could she loves the stuff, haha !! have noticed when its time for wormer she is quite happy to take it now as she thinks it is cough mixture, how to fool a horse

Veteran

forgot to mention I am talking horse cough mixture, (not human) the benilin (sp) in mine

Old nag

Oh...well I give my pony Covonia for his winter cough - works a treat and is quite inexpensive. He almost mugs me for it!

I think he keeps a secret stash in the hay in his stable :-)

Old nag

I have used benelyn a lot & have always given a couple of large table spoons morning & night. The vet recommended it. good for kennel cough too.
    The hand that rocks the ladle is the hand that rules the world . Nadia G

Old nag

Stinky had a bit of an occasional dry cough two weeks ago - no idea why, living out, no snot, no temp but coughed when ridden and a little chesty sounding. He had some benylin - I give him 1/3 of the small 150 ml bottle a day split into two doses. Just pour it on top of his feed - soon cleared the cough up. Two bottles is normally enough to do the trick.

My vet recommended to use benylin when he had the same cough about two years ago - again when living out, no snot etc so think he just had a cough in the way we do occasionally. Again gone within the week.

Had it got worse or not cleared up in the week then I would have called the vet out.

I also gave him a respiratory lick which he very much enjoyed and covered himself in.
    Life is short, enjoy it to the full with large hairy horses.

Veteran

try 1 tablespoon of cough mixture (Benelyn) with 2 tablespoons of veg oil - put in small plastic bottle and shake it up - you should be able to give it to your horse from the bottle without any problems.

Veteran

excellent thanks everyone - i did the stupid thing of telling chemist was for horse - they wouldnt sell it to me!!! so had to go to another chemist and lie!!
    Hopefully will do trick