Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Schoolmaster

Default puffy vein on inside of the horse's leg...any ideas?

i posted yesterday about my horse with a slightly puffy front leg. i think, really, what it is is a slightly puffy vein on the inside of his leg at the top- now it's hardly noticeable, any ideas what it is? i am putting witchhazel and arnica on it...

Old nag

Default Re: puffy vein on inside of the horse's leg...any ideas?

I may be talking about another vein??? but a few years ago, the vein at the top of his inside front leg suddenly one day protuded like a varicose vein and got bigger after exercise. I mean sticking out over an inch and going bigger than this. I got the vet to have a look as although he wasnt lame it was really noticeable. Cant remember what he called it but did say it could be operated on but wasnt advised as they lost a lot of blood, he said to put a tubigrip on it for a few hours a day, which I did and one day it just dissapeared. Keeping a tubigrip on was a nightmare as it kept falling down.

Schoolmaster

it's very slight but i think it's the same vien...and it seems to go down when exercised, so i am now panicing it's a tendon injury although he's not lame, there's no heat, he's wild as ever and it seems to imrpove with work?!!! am i being hyper?

does it match the other leg? if so, cancel panic imho. if not, reduce panic but consult vet...
    "...and I whispered to the horse: trust no man in whose eye you don't see yourself reflected as an equal." - Don Vincenzo Giobbe (circa 1700)
    "Remember, the horse has no bad intentions, he only reacts." Dr Gerd Heuschmann
    "Only ignorance! Only ignorance! Don't you know it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?" -- from Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

Old nag

Do you mean at the top of his leg? My horses was right near
    the top on the inside. If so that wont be a Tendon injury.
    My friends horse has a suspensary ligament injury and sometimes a vein comes up on the inside but below his knee.

Schoolmaster

sorry, it is below the knee. the other leg is very similar but i have now crossed into paranoid and i think the one side is a bit bigger, but i have felt it for a good 15 minutes and it's very close in size. it's the area around the vein on the near fore.

Schoolmaster

It wont make you feel better but that is what happened to my loan mare (before she came to me) and that was her tendon. However the swelling got worse with exercise.

Fingers crossed this is something far less serious and/or expensive!

Schoolmaster

it does improve with exercise which must be good...right?

Veteran

My gelding had a puffy vein, in front of the tendons on the inside of his fore leg a couple of weeks ago.

No other swelling, completely sound. Called vet, swelling had reduced by the time vet arrived. Clearly thought owner dotty/paranoid and very surprised I had noticed something so subtle. Resisted the urge to mention that the ground has been like concrete for months - hence checking legs carefully.

Vet didn't think anything much wrong with horse and gave me some gel to put on it if it swelled again.

If it is improving with exercise, then yes it is good.

Could just be a bit of oedema (fluid) gathering for some reason - if it goes with exercise and then doesn't recur, then don't worry, but maybe just give quiet exercise for a while.

Youngster had something similar earlier this year, which reduced on exercise (actually had quite puffy legs the first time), but vet advised just to walk out in hand and if it went to keep an eye, but not worry unless it became a regular occurence.