Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are Dutch Warmbloods like? Temperament and ride?

Hi, a friend of mine has her eye on a dutch warmblood gelding. She has never riden or looked after one before and so I said I would ask for her on H&H. She is looking for a safe hack but not too much of a 'kick along' ride. I know it very much depends on the individual horse, but are there any general traits of this breed?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Default Re: What are Dutch Warmbloods like? Temperament and ride?

also known in some circles as Dumbloods...
    seriously athletic but not necessarily the sharpest pencil in the pot, from what i've heard. never had 1 though!
    "...and I whispered to the horse: trust no man in whose eye you don't see yourself reflected as an equal." - Don Vincenzo Giobbe (circa 1700)
    "Remember, the horse has no bad intentions, he only reacts." Dr Gerd Heuschmann
    "Only ignorance! Only ignorance! Don't you know it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?" -- from Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

love mine - he's bright, trainable and a nice person to be around

i have one.beautiful kind temperament.easy to do in every way quite laid back most of the time
    [IMG]htt

how long is a piece of string?
    seriously...the one's i have dealt with have been athletic and talented but always a bit backwards thinking...but then i know other DWBs who have been the exact opposite... she needs to assess the individual horse really

Schoolmaster

Have ridden a couple and they were lovely, however my sisters was an absolute nutter , was always a nice safe horse with me, but tried to kill several of the stable hands at her yard, I guess as always you have to jusdge the individual and not the breed

Actually they are generally intelligent, I know Cappy is. He is a KWPN reg. Gelders horse (Gelderlander) They are not generally a first horse type or a ploddy type. All the DWB I have known have been stressy but talented. However there are always exceptions to the rule.

They can be poor doers and generally they tend to be sharp. They love to have a job to do, they excell at dressage and absolutely love to jump.

Not too sure about XC Cappy certainly would not do it or hunt, too much of a woss! He has several DWB friends and they are similar to him. One refuses to go out in weather less than perfect!
    Stubborn, opinionated, sharp, talented and full of character. I adore mine, his character is gorgeous and sooo loving but he is not easy, none of his DWB friends are either. As I said though there are of course exceptions to every rule.
    http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=ae026905.pbw]

Proud member of the Sudocrem appreciation society and Member of the "Nothing like a Knobber" clique

I have a well bred 5yo DWB and she is quite laid back in her temperament, not particularly spooky and very accepting of new things - she seems to learn very quickly and is generally amenable to everything you want to throw at her. She's also very athletic and very quick thinking, with an awesome natural jump and flashy paces. On the other hand I've known a couple of proper "Dumbbloods" who weren't the brightest sparks!
    I think it depends very much on the individual horse tbh

The Dizzy one is: bright, intelligent, very loving, learns quickly, athletic, quick(!), powerful big strides, trusting.

And on the other hand, she's: argumentative, quick to take the chance to be boss (she's fine so long as I stay boss lol), and can be interesting to ride, though usually I feel safe (if a little dizzy lol).

She needs to trust her rider/person and it's important that someone is kind and fair and firm with her. Lose one's temper with Dizz and it'll be the last thing one does

"After the light, comes the dark; After the love, comes the breaking of my heart."

I have a dutch warmblood and he really is one of the most fantastic horses i have owned. He can be a little 'quirky' but is a dream to ride and i would not swap him for the world!!