Default My dogs eye is bright red. Please help.

Hi, I'm after a bit of help please.
    Does anyone have experience of a dogs eye going bright red, with a bleed behind the eye?

Basically at lunchtime today my springer spaniel's left eye went bright red. We took her to the vet this afternoon and have 4 possibilities.

1. She has lungworm from eating snails or slugs and it has caused a bleed. The vet has given her a huge dose of wormer but he thinks it is unlikely she has lungworm because we worm her regularly and lungworm is unusual in our area.

2. Immune sytem attacking itself. Her platelets are really low. They took blood and spun it and found that she has 7 platelets in the sample, whereas it should be between 700 and 1500. She has only 7. They have sent blood off to a lab tonight and we get results tomorrow. Vet thinks this is likely. We have been given steroids for her as anti-inflamatory and Vit K tablets to increase the amount of platelets in her blood

3. Bone marrow disorder. Vet thinks this is less likely.

4. Leukaemia. Vet thinks this is less likely.

We have to be really careful that she doesn't get a bruise or a cut as she could literally bleed to death as her blood is not clotting and she could haemorrhage uncontrollably.

Very sorry for all the questions, but has anyone experienced this with their dog? Or are any vets reading this? We will have results tomorrow, but am besides myself and wondered if anyone could help me now. I love this dog so much.

Default Re: My dogs eye is bright red. Please help.

Sorry can't give any pratical advice but gentle hugs to your pup and you. Hope you get good news tomorrow.

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
    Cats massage your heart. Sleep well Gaby.

thank you.x

do you think it would be ok if i posted this in new lounge? lot more people in there?

No advice I am afraid but fingers crossed you get positive news tomorrow.

I'm sure it would be fine. Post away.

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
    Cats massage your heart. Sleep well Gaby.

Any news on your dog MHF?