Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Old Mac Boots or Boa Boots?

Cropis feet are terrible at the moment and have been getting progressivley worse over the last couple of months. She has had not great feet since I have had her but the warm/cold/wet/dry weather we have had has shot them to peices. She can hardly keep a shoe on and now I can't have her offside rear shoe put back on as there is not really any hoof to nail it too.

I have talked to my farrier obviously, and he doen't want to put any shoes back on her worst feet. He does not like glue shoes, he thinks that they are very expensive and do not last. I asked him about taking her shoes off next week (well the 3 she has left) and leaving her for a while until she gets some decent hoof growth and they get stronger. He thinks it is a good idea too.

I have now got her on 3 big scoops of Biotin a day and I have ordered some Linseed oil which will also help apparently.

The question obviously is what do I do about riding out. Her feet are not strong enough to cope with going out naked and need some protection. I am looking at Old Macs or Boa's does anyone have any experience of either of them, pro's & cons etc...

Thank you

Schoolmaster

Default Re: Old Mac Boots or Boa Boots?

I would strongly recommend this site as there are lots of barefoot enthusiasts who may be able to help you
    http://www.enlightenedequitation.com...p;showforum=43
    Although I am sure there will be people on here who can help you too!

Thank you, off to have a look now

Old Macs all the way!! Have done 2 summers in then with my TB with rubbish feet & he gets on fantastically well in them.

Great, do you have him on other supplements too?

Veteran

I have used and recommend the Boa's.
    However other recommend the Old Macs
    Others recommend the Easy Boot Epics? (Think that is the correct name).

I do wonder if it is down to the shape of your horses foot that determines which kind of boot suits your horse?

I know that is no help to you what so ever, but, you may find a tack shop that would let you try them for fit?

They are pretty damn expensive items to buy if you find they don't suit your horse.

It might be a good idea to go on to the Enlightened Equitation forum and look in their forum on feet. There are a lot of people on there who do a lot of work in boots (Due to doing the barefoot thing) and are pretty knowledgable on the boot subject. I have a feeling that if you find someone in your area they would happily let you play with there's.

Hope that is mildly helpful.

Cheers C x

You've been pointed in the right direction. One of my horses is barefoot for remedial purposes, though in your case it could be said that a period without shoes is remedial too. I can thoroughly recommend Old Mac boots for riding and for leading the horse over stony ground to the field for example. To begin with you can expect some foot sensitivity. Boots are excellent for this transition phase.

Your farrier may just do a pasture trim. Equine Podiatrists do a High Performance Trim which together with a period of conditioning is aimed at bringing the horse to a level of full performance, and most who stick it out see an improvement in their horse's general movement, together with a number of benefits associated with well balanced healthy hooves.

Equine Podiatrists also recommend pads inside boots to start with. They use Sole Mates, which are high density foam pads that form to the profile of the sole and support the structures during the transition phase. You can improvise though with any high density foam material (e.e. floor mats) cut to size.

Even if you put the shoes back on later, going barefoot for a few months should be beneficial to your horse. Traditionally horses were given a barefoot holiday during the time they were out of work.

It is helpful thank you. I'm just about the go and look at the Enlightened Equitation Forum. As you say its an expensive mistake to make if I get it wrong

I used an Easy Boot on her on Thursday when I rode out and the metal clasps cut her just about her coronet One of the problems is her feet as so short due to lack of growth so I don't want anything 'abrasive' like that. I did use it again on Friday when we walked to our lesson but stuffed it full of cotton wool so it would not rub or cut her again!! I think I had too much in it though as the metal wires snapped on the way back from the lesson and it ended up in the middle of the road Q me jumping off and we had a walk home together!!

I put him on farriers formula in June this year & my new farrier (who has also helped) says that they are pretty good now (never heard that said about him before!). He was shod a week ago & we actually got proper growth taken off, rather than the filings we normally get when his feet are trimmed. He had a horizontal crack on the coronet net band in June (when I started him on farriers formula) and it is now a couple of centimetres from the bottom of the hoof! The key thing is that is appears to have improved the quality - but next summer will really tell.

Thanks, it does make sense to give her a break from shoes and nails in her hooves for a while. If they improve significantly then I may keep them off all together. I must confess to not knowing very much about the bear foot brigade but whatever is best for Crop is what I will do. Its great to have different points of view and perspectives.