Veteran

Default Bleeding on coronet band.

OK, so I got a call from my mum at 10 to 9 this morning asking me to cycle to the stables as her mare (Rowenna) had some blood coming out of her hoof. I got there soon after and had a look at it. It seems the abscess that she has had for the past few weeks (that came out of the sole) has come back. As the farrier blocked the original hole, it seems that the abscess had no choice but to come out the coronet band.

Is it uncommon for an abscess to come out of the coronet band?

We have called the vet and they are coming this afternoon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

S

(Also posted in veterinary)

We Love You Weener! And Bob

Member of the We Love Chestnut Mares Clique

As Long As They Are Talking About You, Your Doing Something Right!!-SxePhil

Veteran

Default Re: Bleeding on coronet band.

I have heard of it happening before. Glad the vet will be able to have a look before the weekend.

Schoolmaster

My friends yearling was lame for a few weeks, vets thought it was laminitis but one morning she turned up to find a crack at the coronet band, if you felt it and then smelt your hand it stank!! vet came back out and confirmed it had been an abscess which had burst through the top. He cut away the sole of the foot to find the hole then advised her to stand the foot in a bucket of salt water for 5 mins for a few days just to make sure it had fully drained. Horsie is now fine

Veteran

Great - Thanks

We Love You Weener! And Bob

Member of the We Love Chestnut Mares Clique

As Long As They Are Talking About You, Your Doing Something Right!!-SxePhil

One of the mares at our yard had an abscess burst through the coronet band recently. She came in from the field hoping lame barely able le put any weight on it.The farrier had a look and dug away at sole trying to find it. Only had one reaction from the hoof tester Vet was called and by the time he came out the next day the abscess had burst through the coronet band. Mare was poulticed for about a week I think and 6 weeks later is back to normal self again

Good luck
    Growing old is mandatory - Growing up is optional

Its called a quittor and when it bursts it usually gives instant relief!

exiting at the cornet is very common, the abcess is usually directly below the exit hole. an abcess that cant get out will find the path of least resistance, that is up the laminar lines[near vertical] or between the sole and pedal bone and exit at the heels ,bulbs etc. i find that a good walk, trot or canter[by watever means] will pump out an abcess better than a poultice. hydrogen peroxide squirted into the exit hole will fizzel the puss out. also a good soak in cyder vinegar/water mix50/50 is a good help

hi mainpower, you are nearly right, but suppose that means you are wrong, please dont yell at me, but a quittor is a term relating to an external injury in the hairline which becomes infected and in turn infects the underlying cartlige. this a nasty condition and is commonly caused by glancing blow to the leg from a shoe on another foot. this is very common in large bigfooted horses. i hope you dont mind me telling you this. i am probably older than you ,and as a result wiser

Hi hoofsculpture, I won't yell at you and I certainly don't mind being corrected.... I have believed for nearly half a century that my definition of quittor was true but I went away and googled quittor and found definitions that make both of us right, and when I questioned my farrier he said the same.
    http://www.alezane.co.uk/health/quittor.htm

I don't claim to be wise but without knowing your year of birth (or you, mine) I don't know which of us has seen the most sunsets, or indeed quittors......