Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how do i get rid of ragwort!!

we have recently taken over a yard and one of the back fields is covered in ragwort! i know the best way to get rid of it is to pull it up but this would be impossible as there is so much! we thought about ploughing up the field and starting over but have been told that the roots of the ragwort would still be there and we would still get the same problem. we have been told that spraying it would not work either. has anyone any suggestions on how to get rid of it? we have spent all weekend pulling the damn stuff up but theres still thousands of plants to go, we are going crazy! please help!!

Default Re: how do i get rid of ragwort!!

Digging it up is the only sure way of getting rid of it unfourtunately. Just make sure you wear goves, let it dry for about a week and then burn the evil weed.
    *If lost please to return to Sweet FA or The Bar - thankies http://www.cosgan.de/smilie.php *

Digging it up really is the only way I'm afraid- cutting, ploughing or otherwise treating it will only temporarily solve the problem and may cause extra problems to boot. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but getting familiar with a ragwort fork is really the only option

Sport horse

If it is really badly infested with rag then i think you should consider spraying it first to try and reduce the amount of plants to a more managable level.Then you will have to pull it up religiously each year .This shouldn't be too much of a chore ,just do it when you poo pick .
    If you do spray ,you will not be able to graze untill all the plants have withered and disapeared as any dead plants will be more palatable to horses and thus more dangerous.

thanks everyone, mite try spraying it first cos there really is a lot of it god i hate ragwort!

Sport horse

Goodness marlyclay "shouldn't be too much of a chore" you obviously don't have a ragwort problem. I've been digging it out since April, an hour here, half an hour there and I finished last weekend, with the assitance of a friend. Its horrible stuff, but agree digging is the best option, you can spray but you have to keep spraying for the next 3 years and it's very expensive. Good luck.
    Sometimes I wake up Grumpy other times I let him sleep.

When I moved into my place nearly 2 years ago, the fields were jam packed with ragwort!

I pulled as much as I could, and then in September sprayed with Forefront. Absolutely fabulous stuff. I have no ragwort this year where I sprayed. It also killed off the spear thistles that I had as well. Brilliant stuff.

You need to spray when you have a dry spell of weather if you can, though. So that the plant takes the liquid spray down to the root.

thankyou! forefront seems like the way forward this has really helped me thanks so much!

I think Forefront has been banned this year because of resistance as that's what we wanted to use. We used Headland Polo this year, but yet again its only stunted the plants & killed less than 20% I'd say.
    I certainly disagree that it 'shouldn't be much of a chore' - its a hell of a chore! I've stopped riding over the last fortnight as I didn't have time to do that, poo-pick & pull the wretched stuff.

Pulling doesn't work that well as any broken roots left behind rejuvinate faster than the broom in the Sorcerer's Apprentice! True, it does get rid of the plant there & then, but it will almost always come back nearby.

The plants that were sprayed were managing to flower & when I dug them up the roots still looked healthy.

Why do you have to spray for 3 years Lordy100? I wish I'd sprayed last September, but farmer (wrongly) said waste of time. We had it sprayed in spring & I'm going to get it done again this Sept, followed by another treatment in Spring 2010. About 300 per time, but I think I'd rather do that than spend half my day pulling it.

Schoolmaster

what you have to do is dig it up, then next year dig up the stuff that comes up again, its biannual, then the year after that, dig it up again, and again, and again, since the bloody stuff is all over the neighbours land, the bridlepaths, the road verges, the motorway verges... we are all fighting a losing battle and its a disgrace