Thread: deet fly spray!

Default deet fly spray!

i know deet is not good for horses but nothing else seems to work so just wonderig if it would be ok to spray mane and tail with it to keep it of his front and back end and use a nother product for his body?x

Default Re: deet fly spray!

i personally wouldn't use deet on my horse - i found this stuff to be really effective.

http://www.barrier-biotech.com/product.php?pid=SP

It's not that expensive either.

One evening during a lesson when everyone was getting eaten alive by midges, the instructor came and stood by us because we had none at all.

What is wrong with deet??? my friend uses it on all 3 of hers!!

Always live every day to the full, you only get one chance at each one!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much to stormyhorse for my lovely siggie!!!!

Sport horse

Nothings wrong with deet, its the safest most effective fly repellent, ive used it on mine for ages now, its the only thing that really works.

Deet is the active ingredient in the human Jungle formula that you buy when your going somewhere hot on holiday, its probably the only thing thats been really tested properly to be safe!

Old nag

I disagree. DEET does carry risks - it is partially absorbed through the skin, should never be used on open cuts (as then absorbtion would be much higher and increase risk of side effects), and has been linked to seizures in children, psychosis in adults, allergic reactions and skin irritations, and is very toxic if inhaled or ingested. It is not recommended for extended use (i.e. every day) and thorough skin washing after you return inside is recommended. So, when used on horses, you cannot guarentee they will not lick it, and I am sure they don't hold their breath when they apply it and fly spray I am guessing is used all summer? I certainly would not use it as fly spray in the UK.

This said, DEET does have its uses, namely to prevent mosquito and tick born infections (malaria, Lyme's, West Nile) and I do use it on myself here because of the risks associated with our mosquitos. The risks from West Nile are greater than from DEET, which is why I do use DEET products (sparsely, and only when there are mosquitoes about, not just for flies during the day), but I wouldn't use a DEET product in the UK, because the balance of risks switches.
    Feel free to act innocent, I haven't got a clue.....

i use DEET and don't worry about any of the potential side affects for me or my horse...
    afterall, aren't you meant to get cancer from tomatoes and lots of other healthy things???

if it was unanimously proven to be that bad for you i doubt it would have a license.

Veteran

I use DEET on my pony with 'Sweetitch' it was recommended by my vet in Scotland who was one of the best equine vets in the area. Getting it from him was cheaper too. It came in a one litre tin and I used my own spray.

I buy it every summer.
    Shagya Arabs

Old nag

What a strange view. There are plenty of drugs in use that have been found to cause cancers, neurological damage, system damage etc. The reason they are licensed for use is that the benefits outweigh the risks - either because the condition is so serious it warrents even a high risk (some cancer drugs are known to cause secondary cancers for example, but are used because treatment of the primary cancer warrents the side effect) or because the risks are smaller, and the benefit of the drug warrents its use (like DEET, the risks from malaria and west nile are very serious, so DEET is licenced for use despite its nasty side effects). DEET is designed to be used for short periods of time, then washed off with soap and water, not sprayed on to the skin over and over and left. Things not used as designed cause further problems.

I maintain that the risk from fly bites (unless the horse has a specific allergy) is lower than prolonged use of DEET.
    Feel free to act innocent, I haven't got a clue.....