Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying a horse with an old tendon injury

Hi

Would you buy a young ex-racehorse if it had a fully mended tendon injury even if there was a bow in the tendon? Would intend the horse to go BE eventing up to Novice level.

Just backed

Default Re: Buying a horse with an old tendon injury

Hi my exracehorse has an old tendon injury but raced on it and is completely sound. I jump him and would like to event him next year up to Novice level. He doesn't seem to have any problems with it.

Depends how cheap!! I would certainly expect it to be reflected in the price as there is undoubtedly a risk... If I really really liked it and it was cheap, I would have it vetted carefully, including scanning BOTH forelegs and take vet's advice. FWIW I have had two horses with tendon injuries, one ex-racehorse who evented quite happily to N level, one KWPN who I broke came back and was fine for one days up to Adv but struggled with 3 days.

Other things to consider are 1) Are you planning to sell on, as could be diffiicult, and 2) You will always have to be careful what ground you run on which can get frustrating/expensive.

Old nag

I know a horse who had a very bad tendon injury and is back eventing to Intermediate. it does take alot of management, and as TD says, running on good ground onlyis advisable, and of course there is an increased risk of injury.

I wouldnt. There are plenty of sound horses out there, and horses break so easily - why start off with something which has a known history of unsoundness. It will always have a weakness in that tendon.

Just backed

Hi there, my ex-race horse also has a tendon injury, with a bow and now events, NEVER (touch wood) had an issue with it. I always make sure after hunting or cross country i put ice on straight after followed by blue ice gel just for Precautions.

I have an ex racehorse who did a tendon. He was fired and despite all my worrying about hunting him in deep ground on it, it is totally fine. Its just everything else that has broken!!

I agree with Live_Wire, i'm sorry to say. horse could go and be a lovely hack/fun horse and prob stand up to it, but eventing is SO hard on them, if they have a weakness it will find it, so i would not start with one with a known weakness.
    "...and I whispered to the horse: trust no man in whose eye you don't see yourself reflected as an equal." - Don Vincenzo Giobbe (circa 1700)
    "Remember, the horse has no bad intentions, he only reacts." Dr Gerd Heuschmann
    "Only ignorance! Only ignorance! Don't you know it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?" -- from Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

Schoolmaster

For eventing I wouldn't touch it, as other have said there are plenty of nice horses that don't have leg issues.
    Interestingly there is a horse for sale in H&H at the moment who did a tendon about 4 years ago, up for 5 figures, my jaw dropped!

I think there is a difference though, between a horse with an old injury doing the job for some time at the desired level, and one that hasn't proven itself. I've known some great schoolmasters with scary legs BUT they'd been doing the job (or even a tougher one) for some time with no problems.

STARTING with a problem is something different. If the horse is phenomenal in every other way AND it's thoroughly vetted with good results AND it's currently in reasonable work and showing no signs of trouble, then it might be worth it. Or if it's just what you want, super cheap and you're willing to take the risk, have at it. But, as said, if not in a position to risk it or if you're thinking of selling on, walk away.

‎It's a sign of intelligence and growth to change your mind. If you never change your mind, you're never learning anything new.