Old nag

Default Large lump inside Neck...

This isn't about my horse but on behalf of a horse I know.

I noticed yesterday that he has a large lump on his neck, around the area where the jugular groove is. It doesn't stick out of the skin, it is inside the neck if that makes sense... it is quite big and feels almost fatty and fairly solid... any ideas what it could be? it doesn't seem to bother him and could have been there for some time but it has remained unnoticed.

Any advice much appreciated.
    Proud member of "Our horses and ponies have forever homes!"
    If it's not an Appaloosa then it's just a horse!
    Say NO to Rollkur!!

Veteran

Default Re: Large lump inside Neck...

My daughter's cob has a large lump on his neck too. It is roughly where he leans on the door, so I am assuming it's a haematoma. It is about the size of half an egg and it's quite hard. Sound anything like yours? I could take a photo later and try to post it.

Sport horse

Benign enlargement of the thyroid.

Old nag

Llwelyn - Yes this sounds similar, the lump is quite hard and feels almost like it's made of fat or something (but isn't) now that I know it's there, I can see a slight swelling on his neck just by looking at him.

GreedyGuts - Thanks, what causes this and how can the swelling be reduced?
    Proud member of "Our horses and ponies have forever homes!"
    If it's not an Appaloosa then it's just a horse!
    Say NO to Rollkur!!

Sport horse

No one really knows what causes it, and unlike in many other animals the extra tissue does not produce hormones so does not have an effect on the horse. They don't tend to change in size much once formed and are non-painful, so are generally best left alone. They are common.

They generally sit slightly to one side of the midline on the underside of the upper neck, are approximately plum sized and shaped, are firm, slightly mobile and well circumscribed. Sounds as though that's what you're describing, and they are nothing to worry about.

Veteran

Thanks GreedyGuts, one of mine has had this for a few years and I always wondered what it was. Good to know it is nothing to worry about. Something else for me to drop in conversation at parties

My horse is out-standing in her field.

Veteran

Llewelyn - wouldn't a haematoma be soft as it is filled with blood?

Who ever said that money does not buy happiness, did not know where to buy a horse

Haematomas are soft and fluidy when fresh but once the blood clots and the healing process starts they become firmer. Most disappear entirely with time but some will always leave a residual lump of fibrous tissue.

Mine seems to have the same thing as this but it seems to have several. Do this sound like something completely different?