Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default planning permission and Agricultural land?

can anyone give me a definition of agricultural land?
    i was granted 3 stables, 1 store, menage and equestrian use on 10 acres but managed to keep the land as agricultural as i grow crops and sustain my horses off my land, rather than having to apply for change of use to equestrian.

ive just seen a submission to the council for planning permission: 2 stables on less then 1 acre. They are stating that the land is agricultural land, just becasue when it was owned previously it was agricultural land (part of 40 acres). how can less than 1 acre be agricultural land?
    the only animals they have on the land are chickens. i didnt think that chickens were classed as agricultural?

also if stables have been built doesnt the application need to be retrospective?

sorry for all the questions.

Veteran

Default Re: planning permission and Agricultural land?

Chickens are agricultural, you can have 800-1000 free range hens/acre. Stables are not agricultural, if they have been built as 'temporary' they may not have needed planning depending on your council.

Veteran

I think you could object to this 2 stables on 1 acre on the basis that the use of the land is intensive, and therefore it is recreational horsekeeping going on as opposed to agricultural land use. Obviously a horse is not going to derive the majority of its nutritional needs from grazing 1/2 acre 365 days a year. Grazing is an agricultural activity, assuming the horse does get the majority of its nuttional needs met from grazing. You want to get on the phone to the planning officer and ask them some questions then write in and formally object.

I thought chickens did count as agricultural myslef. I thought that was one of the oldest tricks in the book, buy somewhere with an ag tie and then just keep a few chickens. I could be wrong though.

If the stables are already built, occupied and in use then yes it ought to be retrospective, but then I have seen houses started round here and be well on their way to roof level before planning permission is granted.

ah i thought they werent. there are only about a dozen chucks on the land - oh and the bloody annoying cockrel that screaches its head off at 5 am! lol
    the stables are supposedly mobile! well all theyve done is put tie up rings on the bottom of the stables to pretend they are but theyve put them on a base so were never meant to be temporary

thanks Penny.
    i got refused 5 stables and large store as the scale was too big for the site (yes on 10 acres of land)
    there are never going to be any plans on the owner putting or keeping horses on the land, this is what is annoying. when they were built the council came out, and the owner has been warned by the council about cutting his grass - hes not allowed to do this more than twice a year, but hes done it 4 times already in the past 2 months.
    the stables are/have been occupied by birds for the past few months (well really since November) so i take it it should be retrospective. mmm wonder whats going on witht eh council, thought theyd be quicker to see whats going on. i know he piad building land price for the small plot so i know what hes wanting to do.

think a little phone call to the council to answer a few questions is just what i need to do, oh and to the parish council
    thanks again

Veteran

You want to speak to the planning enforcement department at the local council. They usually don't go round looking for things, but will always respond to a complaint. I think that's probably your best bet. Specifically make the point that the supposedly mobile stables are ona fixed base.

QR
    You could complain, object, do all sorts of things... but why would you want to?

Schoolmaster

im glad i dont live by you

[ QUOTE ]
    im glad i dont live by you

[/ QUOTE ]
    By me? Why? I don't bother any neighbours

Veteran

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks Penny.
    i got refused 5 stables and large store as the scale was too big for the site (yes on 10 acres of land)
    there are never going to be any plans on the owner putting or keeping horses on the land, this is what is annoying. when they were built the council came out, and the owner has been warned by the council about cutting his grass - hes not allowed to do this more than twice a year, but hes done it 4 times already in the past 2 months.
    the stables are/have been occupied by birds for the past few months (well really since November) so i take it it should be retrospective. mmm wonder whats going on witht eh council, thought theyd be quicker to see whats going on. i know he piad building land price for the small plot so i know what hes wanting to do.

think a little phone call to the council to answer a few questions is just what i need to do, oh and to the parish council
    thanks again

[/ QUOTE ] ....... stones and glass houses comes to mind