Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default the Micklem bridle - opinions?

Having read blogs on the Micklem bridle etc. and seeing some riders here starting to use them.

what are your thoughts? my immediate response is why change something that has been working for hundreds of years+, but then i read the very clever marketing and it makes me think that what they are saying makes perfect sense...

opinions?

Default Re: the Micklem bridle - opinions?

I oohed and ahhed at it when I saw it too but decided that ultimately I thought it looked a bit clumsy (too many straps and a nasty plastic clip for attaching the bit) so I canned the idea without ever having tried it on my horse

I think Weezy used it and found it rubbed?

looks very very good to me, am currently seeing whether a different bitless bridle will work (the nurtural) but if it doesn't, a Micklem will definitely be the next thing to try.
    "...and I whispered to the horse: trust no man in whose eye you don't see yourself reflected as an equal." - Don Vincenzo Giobbe (circa 1700)
    "Remember, the horse has no bad intentions, he only reacts." Dr Gerd Heuschmann
    "Only ignorance! Only ignorance! Don't you know it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?" -- from Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

My mother uses one on her horse as it comfier (sp?) behind the poll. It also seems very neat and tidy.

Tried one- had no effect, did not like it 'clouded' all feeling, but bear in mind my horse is wierd

Know a few people who have used them and they claim that they are great- horse has a more natural outline, less tendency to tense and overbend

Veteran

I've seen it used before he started marketing it and always thought it was a good idea, I think anyone who's found it's rubbed hasn't fitted it correctly and there is now a video on the horseware site on how to fit it. It's like all things I suppose, some horses will appreciate it more than others. I'm going to try one on my youngster.

<font color="green">"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do." - Henry Ford </font>

its good, i use the leather straps to attatch the bit on, not the plastic clips! They are effective, well i found, on your average horse i dont think they make kuch difference tbh but mines weird! :P

Schoolmaster

I didnt like mine and I have posted about it a couple of times but I know there are mixed reviews and what works for one doesn't for another but do bear in mind that you cant use all bits with it. One of my problems was that I use a Myler comfort snaffle with cheeks and I couldnt use it with this bridle which was a major problem for my horse.