Default Worming and laminitis.....

Having taken on a pony that has suffered laminitis on and off for the last 3 years, I obviously want to avoid any triggers if at all possible.
    I know that his last attack occured around the same time he was wormed (Eqvalan)...now whether that is a coincidence I'm unsure of yet and am still working on getting the rest of his lami history
    Anyway...does anyone know if there is any connection or any studies done that I could look at please?..

Default Re: Worming and laminitis.....

Hi. Don't have time to find the evidence I am afraid, but when my mare had laminitis the advice was NOT to worm as it could be a trigger.

Along the same vein as Founderguard being effective I think, and not wanting to mess up the gut flora.

Luckily I suppose laminitics by their very nature spend a lot of time on restricted grazing and hopefully poo picked paddocks. I had my mare worm counted and blood tested for tapeworm when appropriate and we came to the conclusion there was no point worming her as she was clear.

Is the pony doing well?

Jo x
    In silence. Thread Killer Extraordinaire, available 24 hours, professional and discreet.

Thanks Persephone

Yes...pony is doing very well so far thankyou. He is over 2 months sound and off box rest at long last.

I think I'll likely go with a worm count and blood test then in his case and go from there.
    I know he has been regularly wormed and fields poo picked for the last 3 yrs so shouldn't have a massive, if any worm burden.

That's fabulous news! He is a lucky neddy!
    In silence. Thread Killer Extraordinaire, available 24 hours, professional and discreet.

if you are un sure about worming him speak to your vets. but poo counting and blood testing and poo picking should keep him worm free!

Thankyou...
    Yes, thats what I shall do for now

Veteran

My mare had Laminitis as a result of emerging encysted small red worms. (Only detected by blood test and not detected by a worm count).

[ QUOTE ]
    My mare had Laminitis as a result of emerging encysted small red worms. (Only detected by blood test and not detected by a worm count).

[/ QUOTE ] but if she was wormed for enysted worms she would not have had them in the first place this is not said in any form of disrespect to you!