Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old nag

Default Reaction to wormer - Panacur 5 day Guard

Anyone else's horses suffered a reaction to it? I started worming Twiglet with it on Friday, and as of Sunday morning his poos were extremely loose and wet and he was obviously in a bit of pain when passing them (pawing ground, tail swishing etc etc).
    He did nine poos in two hours.....most of which looked like cowpats. I stopped feeding it (will get a worm count done instead) and have been feeding lots of chaff to dry and bind him up a bit.

Will be very reluctant to feed it again in future - anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

Default Re: Reaction to wormer - Panacur 5 day Guard

Yep - friends horse died.

Old nag

This may not be a reaction to the wormer but more likely a reaction to the encysted redworms (for example) it is shifting. Speak to your vet straight away for advice on this.
    Proud member of the Spaniel Owners' Support Group

Yey for the spangle massive!!

http://www.mediawebz.co.uk/emwuk.org.uk/

Old nag

[ QUOTE ]
    This may not be a reaction to the wormer but more likely a reaction to the encysted redworms (for example) it is shifting. Speak to your vet straight away for advice on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I right in thinking that insisted redworms wouldn't show up in poo counts? Is this what Panacur is worming for?
    He is worm counted regularly and has never had a problem.
    They are wormed every 6-7 weeks (thanks to YO), I very much doubt he has a worm burden.

Is he on any medication or suppliemnts??

Old nag

[ QUOTE ]
    Is he on any medication or suppliemnts??

[/ QUOTE ]

Cortaflex only. Has had Panacur numerous times in the past, never reacted to it. Couple of other horses on the yard are noticeable loose this time round too.

Is that the white liquid you give over 5 days? A couple of the horses down our yard don't like it and their poos get very running and they appear to have a mild "upset tummy". It does normally pass though - if you are worried I would call the vet for advice

It is not our abilities that define who we are, but our choices.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Proud member of the Infractions Club

Old nag

[ QUOTE ]
    Is that the white liquid you give over 5 days? A couple of the horses down our yard don't like it and their poos get very running and they appear to have a mild "upset tummy". It does normally pass though - if you are worried I would call the vet for advice

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Sounds exactly the same.....must be really harsh on the tum

Veteran

Two horses on our yard were poorly during/after the course. Neither were 'ill' as such, but both were just a bit under the weather; lacklustre under saddle (although I personally would never ride until at least two days after the last dose) and generally down in themselves. They soon picked up afterwards though

Old nag

[ QUOTE ]
    Two horses on our yard were poorly during/after the course. Neither were 'ill' as such, but both were just a bit under the weather; lacklustre under saddle (although I personally would never ride until at least two days after the last dose) and generally down in themselves. They soon picked up afterwards though

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I always ride when worming - they are stuck in the stable 24/7 and I like to take advantage of a consistently clean horse during worming weekend He did an hour's lesson on Saturday and a hack yesterday - normal workload for him. Never had a problem with working during worming....