Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!

Default Readi-Grass - Any good? Pro's & Con's?

Hi,

As some of you may know (or not) my mare can not go out in the fields whilst the ground is so wet and muddy, due to the work that she has had done to her foot.
    She is happy in her stable, and concrete pen with hay, but was thinking about giving her Readi-Grass during the day just to vary her diet. I feel bad as she hasn't really had ANY grass for 2 wks, now, just hay, and there are no grassy area's around the yard that I could stand with her whilst she has a munch.

Just wondered if anyone has used Readi-Grass, and if its a good form of forage to feed?

Thanks

If you don't have DREAMS, how can your Dreams Come True??

Check out mine & Toby's blog:
    www.lakotasredcloud.co.uk

Veteran

Default Re: Readi-Grass - Any good? Pro's & Con's?

a few people feed it at our yard for their horses which are not such good doers. They alll swear it is good stuff.

I find the chop too variable, and when it is coarser my old girl won't eat it. I prefer Badminton Ultra Grass, cheaper too!
    Andalusian - anything else is just a horse!
    Place your A*s on some class - ride an andalusian
    I will NOT buy any more rugs, I will NOT buy any more horses, I will NOT buy any more rugs, I will NOT buy any more horses, I will NOT buy any more rugs, I will NOT buy any more horses

http://www.inagforequines.org/

I couldn't get Readi-Grass when I first wanted to and was sold Graze-On, instead. Think it's pretty much the same - and maybe a tad cheaper? I was really pleased with it. Took the horses a few days to adjust to the taste but once accepted it was readily eaten. I liked it alot and the horses looked great.

It's very light so a little goes a long way, so it's a good fibre feed to keep the horse occupied.

Schoolmaster

I prefer Graze-on as its not so dusty and my mare as COPD. I also feed grass nuts, which you soak like sugar beet and either mix it in their feeds or just mix it with some chaff for them to munch on.

Veteran

I prefer grass nuts, too. A friend was feeding ready-grass and found it very prickly and dusty. She ended up soaking it like beet.
    Having a positive attitude may not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth your while.

I love it! It worked really well for my skinny old man. It is really good for getting some weight on in winter but the only snag is some horses don't seem to like it. One of mine loves it....the other won't touch it!

15.02.10 RIP my gorgeous Monty Shnozzle. Miss you always x

Veteran

Only thing I would point out about Readi Grass is that remember that it's essentially dried spring grass - so it has quite a high energy level. If you would be cautious about your horse eating spring grass e.g. laminitic, ties up etc. then remember that that's what Readi Grass is. On a personal note - I adore the smell!

My mare likes it. I used it like you're suggesting, as something different in the stable to nibble on in passing. All our neds like it, but don't give it to a laminitic!

It is a tad dusty to be sure, and make sure you open the bag along the long side (where the dotted line is) - if you open it at the top of the short side it takes forever to pull it out!

"After the light, comes the dark; After the love, comes the breaking of my heart."

Non of mine would eat it
    Use soaked Graze On grass pellets mixed with Speedibeet
    Ask to try a handful but you may be better leaving a bucketful of Hi Fi Lite or similar if lami is a risk
    From Horses for Life:
    The intention to harm need not be present for a horse to in fact, be harmed.
    Knottenbelt
    Do unto the horse as you would have done to yourself.