Just backed

Default Sore in girth area

My 6yo seems to have some sort of muscle tenderness in the near side girth area. He seems to be holding himself a bit on the right rein and does not like it being massaged. any ideas? There is nothing to see.

Default Re: Sore in girth area

Just a thought vik100 but do you use a girth with elastic just one side? Friend of mine used to have one of those and a couple of times her horse developed a nasty haematoma in his girth area from over-tightening it that side. Apparently it's quite easy to do and the master saddler I go to advised they should never be used - elastic both sides aor not at all. If you don't use an elasticated one, I would guess it would be possible to over-tighten one side with any sort of girth! Just a thought.

Proud member of the Welshie lover/owner Clique

try a differnet girth for a while and see if it solves the problem? my skewbald warmblood is allergic to most soap powders and his own sweat, so tends to come up in a rash at slightest provocation. I use a rubber girth and artificial sheepskin fleece girth sleeve washed in Fairy only.....works for us. The Stubben string girths are v highly spoken on here too? well balanced and allow skin to breathe....

Veteran

There has been a couple of posts on here recently about it - I would personally recommend some kind of physio/massage (I used McTimoney and can see a difference) and maybe try a different girth? I can recommend the Stubben string girths and I am trying out the Wintec girth with the elastic in the middle though have hardly tried it because haven't been able to ride because of snow

Links to other posts:
    http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...page/2#3974571 and http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...page/4#3960635

Good luck, hope you sort it out.

Just backed

Thank you, I currently use a nice soft leather girth with the elastic on the near side so I will change it and try a different one. I really like the elastic because they are so much easier to do up but can see they might cause a problem. Perhaps string, or elastic in the middle would be better. This forum's good isn't it???

viks, I use the Wintec one which is elasticated in the middle too (like chumsmum) and have never had any trouble at all. Worth a try. Could you borrow one from a pal for a few weeks to try it out before you splash out???

Yup, this Forum is great - you learn new things every day and if you have a problem, loads of people will try to help with their experiences and expertise. Welcome, in case I didn't say it before lol x

Proud member of the Welshie lover/owner Clique

Veteran

My horse is currently undergoing physio for this very problem and I put the same post on this forum about a fortnight ago. Lots of people recommended this girth to me. The physio said wintec saddles are the worst saddles known to man and beast as Wintec claim that you can drive a car over a wintec saddle and the tree won't break so you can imagine what that does to a horses back. You will find that pain round the girth area is coming from the withers and the intercostal muscles along the back. I have rang my physio today because I lunged myhorse last night in his saddle (and he bucked still) and I got on and he started playing up with me in walk after about 40 seconds or so. You may find your horse is overcompensating for other injuries - by any chance has he got hock/hind limb problems??