Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just backed

Default OCD in horses??????

Had vet out Tue as was still concerned about my mares back legs, After 2 hours of nurve blocks, examinations & x-rays Vet has stated she has OCD. Was vey surprised as this usually appears in the younger horses as she is a 6yo (march) i am a little concerned!
    I have googled it and know there are cures but was wondering if anyone has had or known of a horse with this sympton????!!!!!
    Have so many questions that need awnsering and waiting for my vet to CB with the options...........

Schoolmaster

Default Re: OCD in horses??????

Can I ask what OCD stands for? as it cant be the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that I think it is!
    Losing some weight to get back into the saddle!

Just backed

In a human case yes.
    Definition: (OCD) Osteochondrosis is a form of developmental orthopedic disease that involves a local or generalized failure of endochondral ossification affecting the epiphyseal and/or metaphyseal cartilage.
    She has developed it in both hind legs just above her fetlock joint.

Schoolmaster

Oh dear!

I'm sorry I cant offer anything constructive, as I've never heard of it before. I hope someone whos dealt with it before will come along with some advice soon.
    Losing some weight to get back into the saddle!

Old nag

The usual recommendation is arthroscopic surgery to remove the OCD lesions, but the prognosis depends on where the chips are located. If they are operable, I'd recommend seriously thinking about having it done as the longer they are left the more damage they potentially can do.

They can be managed through various injections, but having them removed is far better if possible.

Sport horse

I am in the same situation - my horse has been lame for three weeks now and the vet has booked my boy into the practice next week for a proper diagnosis. At the moment he thinks its ocd in his stifle joints. Hes 3 and the vet said he could have had the condition for a while its just showed up now due to us starting to back him. If the xrays confirm OCD then its surgery for him and then box rest and then the rest of the summer resting. He said I could pretty much right off this year. He did tell me in some cases, depending on the severity of the lesions he could be unrideable.

It could be your mare has had the condition for a while but has got more severe recently?

In the meantime I have put him on Glucosamine and can only await for when the xrays are done.

The vet also told me the operation would be in the region of 3000 - thank goodness for insurance!

Good luck and let us know what your vet suggests.

one of my homebreds had it in stifle joints, diagnosed by gamma scintigraphy. vets decided time would help (she was sound, just found it very hard to lift hindlegs high enough for farrier, so he had to shoe her with her toe near the floor for a while, bless him and his patience!)
    she went on to event up to 2* level, it never caused a problem. she is now about 16 and still fine.
    hope you have a good outcome with your horse.
    "...and I whispered to the horse: trust no man in whose eye you don't see yourself reflected as an equal." - Don Vincenzo Giobbe (circa 1700)
    "Remember, the horse has no bad intentions, he only reacts." Dr Gerd Heuschmann
    "Only ignorance! Only ignorance! Don't you know it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?" -- from Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

[ QUOTE ]
    Can I ask what OCD stands for? as it cant be the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that I think it is!

[/ QUOTE ]
    lol! me too! i daftly clicked on this post to say my mare DEFINATELY has obsessive compulsive disorder! duh! lol!
    http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.ph...annermaker.com

''I only drink on two occasions; when I'm thirsty and when I'm not.''
    4/7/2010 Kismet and Catwalk Katie (aka Will and cat) RIP my beautiful friends, until we meet again. xxxx
    Founder member of the AAD uncliquey, unbullying and unbitchy clique

Veteran

osteochondrosis dessicans! hence the 'OCD' shortened version.
    dont you just love latin!!!!!!!!!

tis all too confusing for me! if none of mine have it, ive not heard of it as a rule! esp not conditions termed in latin! lol. Dreamz, sorry for writing useless posts on a serious thread! I hope your mare is ok and the prognosis from vet is a good one.
    http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.ph...annermaker.com

''I only drink on two occasions; when I'm thirsty and when I'm not.''
    4/7/2010 Kismet and Catwalk Katie (aka Will and cat) RIP my beautiful friends, until we meet again. xxxx
    Founder member of the AAD uncliquey, unbullying and unbitchy clique