Default Wobbly hind legs

Hi there

I have a Welsh Sec D who last year got diagnosed with arthritic changes in the back right hock. He was 2/10's lame & got treated with Tildren.

For the past two weeks he has seemed "wobbly behind". He isn't lame. Just doesn't feel like he came keep his back leg coming through. My dressage trainer has sat on him & he does it with her too. He is tail swishing too which he doesn't normally do.

I have tried Bute to see if that would make a difference & it hasn't. He is on Synequin anyway. he has had heat in both his hocks although last night it didn't seem quite so bad. I have phoned my vet who will be out on Monday.

I have had his back done, teeth done etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Veteran

Default Re: Wobbly hind legs

Strangely that was what my horse was like last night and he has mild bone spavin, having completed a course of Adequan recently, and having had Tildren 4 weeks ago. I lunged him on the worse rein and his hock was carried right up high and he didn't seem to want to bring it forward at all. I stopped lunging him (he was on a very large circle and only lunged for 20 mins so don't think I did much harm) and I gave him a couple of Danillon. I have the vet coming out on tuesday to give him the final onceover so will see what he says.

Hi
    That's what Flyer pony has bone spavins but only minor. He seems happyish ( if food is about) other than that a bit grumpy. He keeps resting his leg too.

It's difficult to know if am being an over sensitive mother. Am up there tonight. i have also compared it too my video of him last year and it is different.

My horse suffers from this, looks drunk when going away from me! Vet says due to arthritic changes in back, narrowing of channel where spinal cord goes. He had 4 months off as not rideable, much better now, but not right. Bute didnt make any difference.

My mare is currently like as you describe Mcduff. She is 26 years old. The vet says its her back and will be due to arthritic changes. She is now on danilon for comfort and will never be ridden again. She looks drunk from behind and she walks like she is not sure where her feet are landing.

Sorry not much help Chewy223 but good luck when the vet comes on Monday and keep us posted. x

Thank you for siggy SJ_Superstars!

Schoolmaster

CarmaandFlin your horse sounds a lot like what is happening to my 26 year old, I'm in the process of the vet deciding what it is, but she thinks it's his back. If you don't mind me asking, has your vet done anything else appart from puting your horse on danilon? Just asking so I know what I should be expecting when my vet gets back to me. Sorry for slighly high-jacking the post

Hi Ruth_Cymru

The vet said we could go down the route of xrays etc but to see how she goes with danilon and rest.

She started a few months ago just having moments where her back end started swaying and she looked like she was going to fall over and her eyes glazed but went completely back to normal after a few seconds. The vet says this could be a pain thing as I mentioned to her I thought she was having mini strokes. She can get down to roll and get back up etc with no problems.

Her back end movement has improved but she's still not quite 100% and I don't think at her age I want to put her through all the travelling for xrays and any further treatment, if there is any treatment. She is comfortable and extremely happy so I just take each day at a time.

Let me know how you get on and hope all goes well.x

Thank you for siggy SJ_Superstars!

Schoolmaster

Thanks for replying, will keep you posted, no doubt I will be posting for more advice/help very soon, my horse does like to keep himself at the forefront of my mind!
    Chewy223 good luck for monday and let us know what the vet says

Hi peeps

Had vet out today. Did the usual flexion test thing ( just on the one leg) which slightly surprised me as i thought that if he did both he may see how they both are?

He was sound. Which is what I knew, although he isn't right. The lady who runs my yard & who schools my horse, thought he looked worse on the second trot up on both legs. I rode him in front of my vet who couldn't really explain why he was a little unbalanced but said he looked fine.

So I am now debating going down the route of getting a set of scans to put the mind at rest. What do you guys think?

He isn't as good as when he first was Tildrened last year. It is frustrating trying to explain what is up with your little ponyto a vet. Hey ho.