Just backed

Default Immune system boost for horses - Echinacea?...

Hi - have any of you had any experience of feeding Echinacea to your horses? If so did it work and can you recommend any specific manufacturers?
    thanks

Default Re: Immune system boost for horses - Echinacea?...

Hi,

I've recently read in a journal that Echinacea is only beneficial when the horse's immune system is working well. If the horse is low in any way, Echinacea can actually suppress the immune system further. Not at all what I expected!

Feedmark sell it and can advise on the quantity to feed. From memory, they recommend a giving it for a month only. Then if the horse needs more, leave it for a month and then feed for another month and so on. Their website is here and there is an "ask the nutritionist" option which might help you

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi,

I've recently read in a journal that Echinacea is only beneficial when the horse's immune system is working well. If the horse is low in any way, Echinacea can actually suppress the immune system further. Not at all what I expected!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested in the reading this paper- where did you see it?
    All I can find which specifically relates to horses is this-
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12108...Pubmed_RVDocSum

immu plus from global herbs is good! i always thought echineace was a very good pick me up!

Veteran

I used Herbal Power from Hilton Herbs. I think it was 10 for a months' supply - it has everything in it so didnt need to feed anything else.

Visorbin is good if you want a boost as well.

Schoolmaster

Oh dear I used it for four months after my pony had his cancer op!
    I never knew it should only be used when the immune system was healthy. Tho I did tell my vet I was using it along with aloe vera juice and D tox.
    She said just try anything!!!
    He was well for four months until he developed lymthatic obstruction odeama so maybe it did help him?

Just backed

www.mushroommatrix.com

Ok yes mushrooms but open your mind and watch the videos, you will feed herbs and synthetic powders, and some will even feed another animal(glucosamine).
    "Never deny that a small group of thoughtful and dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has"