Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran

Default Trapped nerve in back

A friend's horse has been having back problems. All scans/xrays came back clear so the vet said by process of elimination he thought it was a trapped nerve.

Anyone have any experience of this and what the outcome was? Horse is fly bucking all over the place and is not safe to ride. Will be retired to a field if needs be (they have their own land) but horse is only 7 and very talented sjer (or was).

thanks

Veteran

Default Re: Trapped nerve in back

if it is a trapped nerve then surely a chiropractor could help.

Veteran

The chiropractor did some manipulation and he was fine for about 2 weeks, and then relapsed.

The vet said that a horse's spine is so string that you need a huge force to be able to adjust it - simply manipulating the area relieves the inflammation in the short term but then in a couple of weeks it will relapse.

The horse could be buted for walking hacks but it was meant to be a sjer so would be better just to retire it if that is the case. The amount of bute required to numb the pain for anything other than 20 mins of walk would be at a toxic level.

Veteran

Was a portable xray machine used to reach a diagnosis or was the horse referred to an equine hospital with a larger more powerful machine? The reason I ask is that my previous horse had xrays using a portable xray machine on his neck bones following an fall in the field, and being unable to raise his neck. Turned out he had wobblers syndrome but this was only diagnosed some 3 months later at Liverpool with a very powerful xray machine. The portable xray machine my vet used at the yard was not powerful enough to pick up a picture through the muscle mass in the neck. My horse suffered needlessly whilst waiting for a correct diagnosis one of the reasons being because the portable xrays did not reveal the truth.

Veteran

My chiropractor told me that if a horses pelvis was out you would need an army of men to 'push it' back into place. Its the muscles that hold bones in place to an extent, so the muscles need to be manipulated and coaxed into relaxing so that the bones can sort themselves out. The problem may not necessary be back related, as you probably know for example you yourself could have a sore ankle and this would change the way you walk and hold yourself together. Over a period of time you could start to ache in your shoulders simply due to the fact that you are trying to ease the pain in your ankle by standing and walking differently.

she didn't go to the same people that we did, did she??? Is it worth getting a second opinion? I would wonder if something would show on a bone scan?

I was talking to a lady on the yard about my boy and she was telling me a story of a very talented filly she bought, I think that the longest someone could stay on was for about 10/12 mins, it would suddently after 10 mins of good work just explode.

Anyway she had all the tests under the sun and could find nothing. Anyway long sotry short, the spoke to the people that travelled her over here - she was an imported warmblood, no-one saw fit to tell her that the horse panicked in the crate on the way over went down and had to be cut out of it. After knowing this she told the vets and somehow they managed to xray at a different angle and saw that the mare had a fractured spine, as the fracture was underneath they hadn't seen it on normal xrays but was very visible when she was xrayed more or less upside down.

I know it's a long shot but I was willing to try it for my boy if nothing changed!!! xx

apologise for the spelling!!

Veteran

Full scans of the entire body + xrays were taken at a very well known vet clinic (yes the same one LP). These were looked at by different vets though and came to the same conclusion - it is nothing to do with the bones or tendons etc yet horse is in severe pain when ridden.

Horse was exhibiting severe muscle spasms usually associated with Kissing Spines or arthritic changes in the back - none of these showed up on any of the xrays or scans (no hot spots at all really). However if you press on the horse's back there is a huge reaction to the pressure of your hand. As soon as a rider gets on he hollows his back and then walks as though it is two different horses with the back bowed under the rider.

After 20 mins of work (only walk and some trot) the back is so sore that the horse immediately steps away from pressure. He is clearly not happy being worked and the muscles are very tight - locked back again.

Previously horse was in full work and was jumping well. Nothing conformational gives any clues (he has a short strong back).

Vet said only seen similar twice before and it was due to a nerve trapped between the vertrebrae. The only thing that could be done was to manipulate the spine using a sling suspended from the ceiling (such as the one used in operations) under sedation and see if that worked. He said he has done it twice before - once it worked and horse ok the other time horse remained the same (question mark over whether anything else was wrong with that horse but it ended up being pts).

Think the horse will be fine in retirement, but as he is talented owners dont want to give up on him but have plenty of other horses to ride so not bothered about buting up for 20 mins of walk work a week.

Dont think getting the chirpopractor out every 2 weeks will be feasible and unlikely to work long term.

I retired my mare with a suspected trapped nerve in her neck, at the site of a fractured vertebra. It obviously caused her distress when it 'pinched' and made her quite dangerous to sit on! I tried on a couple of occasions after long periods of field rest to bring her back into work, but the problem was obviously permanent.

After several years of being a brood mare I have eventually had her PTS. It always worried me that in someone else's hands she may be ridden again and injure someone.

Veteran

baeloclaudia - did you ever try to manipulate the vertebrae? That is what the vet is suggesting (although the potential site is in the lower thoracic/upper lumbar region).