To cut a long story short, horse came in from the field 2 weeks ago barely able to walk and turn on her hinds. Vet came out looked her over, took bloods ruled out all the usual suspects like tie up, laminitis, equine herpes etc. Vet suspects possible fractured pelvis so said little point doing major investigation such as xray, scintigraphy etc as it would be very hard to spot and the treatment outcome would be the same.
My friend is a bit at her wits end, horse has been on box rest for two weeks (15.2, 5 year old) she has been having 12 ACP a day and bute ranging from two to four sachets depending on her pain level. The horse is still clearly lame and in discomfort on 4 bute.
The vet seems to just keep this situation riding without a clear idea of whether the horse will come right or not. My friend is considering asking for a second opinion. She is worried because the horse is clearly in pain but the vet just seems to be dealing with the problem on a day by day basis and is hesitating about making a final decision.
Has anyone on here been in a similar position or have any advice?