Veteran

Default Guesstimating how tall a foal/horse/pony will grow - need your help

Hi,
    I need people's help here with guesstimating horse heights. I found this site but I didn't have a tape measure so I'm using paint to do it - and to be honest I hope it's wrong

Here's the link to the site:

http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/inf...ngtesting.html

And here's trying it out in paint:

Not looking good

[image][/image]

But then I did it with a very recent photo - makes no sense?? (look at his face - he's even confused! )

[image][/image]

His mum is 16.1 and his sire is 16.3 but if the guesstimates are right he'll barely make 15hh!! I measured him on Sunday and he is 14.1hh at present. I'll probably get grey hairs over this but I'm worried about him! Even at the colt retention scheme inspections the judge asked me how big was his mother and I said 16.1 and shocked he just looked at me and said (in a strange high pitched voice) 'BUT HE'S PONY SIZE!'

Can people try the method and see what they come back with or do you think a growth fairy will appear and make him grow!

Post pics if you can - thanks a mil in advance

Schoolmaster

Default Re: Guesstimating how tall a foal/horse/pony will grow - need your help

How old is he now ?

Thank you pISHed elf lover for my siggy X

Veteran

He's 18 months old. I know ID's are slow developers but seriously!

Schoolmaster

Ok, Don't panic yet ! He's not gelded ? So has got some growing to do, the guide lines you've mentioned are good for most horses but not ALL, I would wait at least until he was 2 1/2 before predicting height, I know there are lots of formulas to say height from a first born but this is not set in stone, if his Mum is 16.1 I would expect him to make at least 16.hh plus ..... I had a NF mare put to a teaser at Newmarket and foal always looked like it would make 15.hh up until 2 years old then had a growth spurt and ended up 16.hh ! Please don't panic yet ! X

Thank you pISHed elf lover for my siggy X

Schoolmaster

my late gelded colt was 14.1 at 20 months mums 16.1 tb , dad is 16hh tb x cob , hes two years 4 months and currently 14.3 at withers and 15.1 at bum predicted height is 15.2 at maturity

My foal is 7 months and we measured him at about 13.3 at the moment. Im expecting him to make 16h but we will see. I did use one method, think it was measuring form the coronet band to the centre of the knee and what ever it was in inches was what he would make in hands. I did it on my older horse and it was 16 and a 1/4 inches which is 16.1 hands which is correct, the foals was 16 inches which suggests he will make 16h. Not sure how accurate it actually is but we will find out in a few years!!

I had a Freisian X who at 20 months old stood 14hh, by the time he was 4 he was 16.1hh, so don't panic just yet

Old nag

my 9 month old foal is 14hh at the moment - laughingly she was only meant to make 16hh.......
    Are you a showjumper, eventer, dressage, endurance or showing rider? If you're a professional rider, semi-professional rider or enthusiastic amateur rider looking for sponsorship we have a couple of spaces available to represent riders who are looking to increase the amount of sponsors they have. Find out more here: http://bit.ly/ZJ0Uz1

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , turn left, then right , past the tree

I dont think my string is long enough for missy

Dont panic yet Akelly .

Is he getting any hardfeed ? yearling mix ? studmix ?

["AKA ColleenIshMissy / Missytom/Colleen_Miss_Tom " Everything is possible ! You ever try slamming a revolving door ? "

my 19 month old is 14.1 (measured this morning!) and he's predicted to make 15.3