Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default scouring on hay?

Our old [27] pony has a problem every year when we start to put her on hay. I buy the best hay I can which is hard hay with no dust but I still need to soak it as mine are sensitive and start to cough a bit if I don't.
    She is fine all summer on just grass and a small feed but as soon as she has hay it starts.Her tail is already disgusting and has to be washed every day. Any advice about what to feed instead of hay [ she goes out all day but there isn't much grass now] or something to stop this. She is feeling very happy but it is so messy.
    Thanks

Default Re: scouring on hay?

could you try her on haylage or is it to rich for her?

Could you put a big bucket out in the field with nut, chaff and sugarbeet in it for her to pick at all day?? Are there alot of horses out with her? Or feed horsehage/ topscore?

Schoolmaster

I would say she is not digesting it very well. Maybe you could try a high fibre nut as a total hay replacement, soaked to a mash.

Simple System do feeds which can be used as a total hay replacer - give them a call, their helpline is great

http://www.simplesystem.co.uk

She is out with Penfold [ coloured ] and they are turned out in the day and in at night. I wonder if it is too rich anyway .I only have 2 horses and 2 ponies so can't but large haylage bales as they would go off. I would give her extra nuts and no hay but worry about her having nothing to eat from 5pm - 9am. Would oat straw be any good and can I soak that as I think she would cough without soaking , I tried her with dry hay once and within 3 days she was having difficulty breathing , even though it seemed dust free

I love simple feeds luci nuts and usually get some for winter , in fact we did speak to them at YHL and said we would phone our local girl this week. I will see what she suggests. I just think she will gobble them up and have to go without anything for quite a while , still it is worth a try .Thank you

Schoolmaster

their luci bix soaks up really big, if you soaked a load up with some unmollassed beet in a huge trug it would take her all night to eat. She may gobble it a bit faster the first couple of nights but then would get used to it. Speak to SS and see what they suggest.

Veteran

My mare scoured when on haylage - pink powder sorted her out.

I would try adding Pink Powder (NAF) to her feed as may help settle her stomach and also enable her to get the most out of her feed.

The old (30+) pony at our yard get a haynet at night, but also gets a large trug with a mix of SS Luci Cobs (soaked), Fibre nuts and Hi Fi.

Proud to hack out looking like 'Bertie Bassett'.

I will try the pink powder, thank you